More College Football Humor

Marlin Hunter

May 18, 2002
On a tour of Alabama, the Pope took a couple of days off his itinerary to visit a beautiful swampy lake on an impromptu sightseeing trip. His 4X4 Popemobile was driving along the impressive shorelines when there was an enormous commotion heard a little ways out on the lake.

They rushed to see what it was and upon approaching the scene the Pope noticed in the water, a hapless man wearing an University of Tennessee football jersey, struggling frantically to free himself from the jaws of a twelve-foot alligator.

At that moment a speedboat containing three men wearing Alabama football tops roared into view from around the point. Spontaneously, one of the men took aim and fired a harpoon into the gator's ribs, immobilizing it instantly. The other two reached out and pulled the Tennessee man from the water and then, using long clubs, beat the gator to death.

They bundled the bleeding, semiconscious Tennessee man into the speed boat along with the dead gator and then prepared for a hasty retreat, when they heard frantic shouting from the shore. It was of course the Pope, and he summoned them to the beach.

Upon them reaching the shore the Pope went into raptures about the rescue and said, "I give you my blessing for your brave actions. I had heard that there were some bitter hatred between the people of Alabama and Tennessee but, now I have seen with my own eyes this is not true. I can see that your society is a truly enlightened example of true harmony and could serve as a model on which other states could follow."

He blessed them all and drove off in a cloud of dust.

As he departed, the harpoonist asked the others, "Who was that???!"

"That," one answered, "was his Holiness the Pope. He is in direct contact with God and has access to all God's wisdom."

"Well," the harpoonist replied, "he don't know squat 'bout gator hunting. How's that bait holding up or do we need to get another one?"