trip to Santo Domingo

rahim

Aug 16, 2002
My husband and I just got back from 8 days in Santo Domingo

We had a great time.. we are looking to relocate and researched a lot and made great contacts.

Hotel Contentinal was a dump.. we called Hotel intercontinental and told them of our disappointment. The manager put us in a suite on the 12th floor for only 99.00 per night..

We fell in love with Juan Dolio and Guyacanes..

Not sure what the story is on Las Lagunus golf course way out and not easily accessible.

Best meal was at Deli Swiss in Guyacanes right on the beach.. no menu just a chef that cooks what ever is fresh for the day.

The driver there are insane.. one guy told us a STOP sign is merely a "suggestion".. how true.... however.. we did not see 1 accident..

Everyone we encountered was very nice and helpful...

As we left the country passing through Dominican customs.. the lady reviewing our documents had a pretty cat pendant.. I told her that I thought her pin was very pretty (in my best spanish'.. she actually took the pin off and gave it to me!!!

I love the DR and will return to find work and living arrangements.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, if you met Walter, you know what good food is. Lots of us here will agree on that.

Good luck in your quest.

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
...I told her that I thought her pin was very pretty (in my best spanish'.. she actually took the pin off and gave it to me!!! ...

That is the Dominican spirit in a nutshell! IMHO the poorest of Dominicans would give you the shirt off their back if it pleased you - even if it was their last shirt. I've seen it.

mk

Last edited:

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
A friend had a taxi driver LITERALLY lend the shirt off his back.

My friend was unable to get into some government building because sleeveless shirts were not permitted, so he pulled off his shirt and lent it...

doug

Jan 1, 2002
southcoast

Glad to hear some positive feedback on the south coast......it's to few and far inbetween.....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
And Walter does cook only what's available fresh!

He also has quite an extensive wine list........
Too bad you didn't have a chance to try out the Italian restaurants just a little further up the road in Juan Dolio! They're also excellent!!

Martin

Mar 8, 2002
love it too but.....

I love the DR too, I figure I've spent at least 300 overnights in the last ten years mostly in Santo Domingo.

One disturbing trend I see is the 'police' pulling over tourists and requiring them to pasy their traffic fine right there and then (yes, an obvious shakedown.) this has happened to me the last two times I rented a car in Santo Domingo (once in August and again in October.)

I'm still not sure there is a solution.....

Martin