Modems destroyed

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just curious, a couple of evenings ago Sept. 6th around 18:00 hrs, Codetel's line was "zapped" by an EDE-Norte power line. Results: several modems that were connected totally destroyed and the same for telephone systems in the Sosua-Puerto Plata areas. Here at the Condos, 3 out of 4 (I was on line and was able to unplug my line fast enough) My questions are: Have many others suffered the same fate? Now here's the real dumb one, what are the chances of getting compensation from Codetel?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Strangely one of my PC's power supply was fried on the same period of time.... However, it was old enough to considerate that a "natural death"...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
What does a modem go for there in your area? I am coming to the D.R. on October the 1st. I can pick up a few modems here in the USA if anyone needs a modem. I can get external or internal.
I do computer repair...if you need any help. I stand behind my work. I know this sounds like free advertising but it fits the occasion...the subject.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy

What area of the DR are you going to be visiting? If it's Sosua POP area, send me an e-mail. It's not the price, modems are cheap here, it's the availability.

S

Stephen

Modem's in Puerto Plata

I live in Puerto Plata and EVERY time there is a storm with lightening, my modem is fried if i don't disconnect the phone line.

It happened to me 3 times since March and now i just keep an extra $200 56K modem on hand and have learned to disconnect the telephone line when I leave for more than 2 days and everytime I see a BLACK CLOUD!!!!!!

Re: Modem's in Puerto Plata

Stephen said:
I live in Puerto Plata and EVERY time there is a storm with lightening, my modem is fried if i don't disconnect the phone line.

It happened to me 3 times since March and now i just keep an extra $200 56K modem on hand and have learned to disconnect the telephone line when I leave for more than 2 days and everytime I see a BLACK CLOUD!!!!!!

They seen you coming when you bought that $200 modem
http://www.nemaine.com/curt/page7.html and these are expensive.
These are realistic prices
http://www.iosoftware.net/modem.htm

S

Stephen

Sorry.......

when I said $200. I meant $200 PESO'S.!!!!!!!!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Serge protectors

You could wind up having to buy both a surge protector and a modem. Certain "protectors" are not that efficient when you get 110 current running through your telephone line.