Where do you all buy your English print books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I live in Santiago but go to the capital occasionally. I am interested in places where I can buy books in English.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Snuffy,
When I lived in SD 1995-99, I found it easier just to order books via Amazon.com. But when I couldn't wait, I went to Cuesta, on 27 de Feb. next to Supermercado Nacional (27 w/ Lincoln) -- I never found a bookstore with a larger English collection. [If you lived in SD rather than Santiago, I would instead recommend patronizing the Kellog library or the library at ICDA, but that's probably not a practical option for you.]
Hope this helps.
Regards, Keith

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Keith.......

first off......I do thank you for the input. I did not realize I could order from Amazon. How does that work anyway as far as customs? I suppose if you order more books...the shipping per book decreases?

I am a big book lover and would be very happy to hear this can actually work for me.

Thanks Again.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Ordering books

Snuffy,
I used to order books from Amazon when I had at least two or three to order, so that I would get a break on the shipping cost. I utilized Business Mail for all my important mail (bills, bank & credit card statements, goods, etc.) while living in SD, so I would have the books shipped to their Miami address (hence purely domestic mail prices as far as Amazon was concerned). Business Mail handled all the customs matters -- frankly, I don't recall the customs on the books as being high. Remember, the books ordered on Amazon are discounted from list prices in the US -- so I found that, once the S&H fees + customs were added, I was paying roughly what I would have to pay to buy the books at a regular bookstore in the U.S., or at least no higher than I would find the books (if I could find it at all) in the DR! To me, not having to go through the hassle of a search in SD for the book was worth it. I usually had my books from Amazon within a week of ordering them.
I also successfully utilized other book-by-web services, such as Pandora's Books Online [http://www.pandora.ca/pandora/]for those hard-to-find used sci-fi & mysterty classics.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Keith

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re-re-posting old stuff:

Libreria Cuesta (southeast corner of 27 de Feb and A. Lincoln): it has been recently renewed and re-opened. It looks very nice now and features the largest selection in town (in Spanish of course). The English section is no good.

Thesaurus (southeast corner of A. Lincoln and Sarasota): More English books than Cuesta. They have a nice cafe on the second floor in case you want to leaf thru your newly-bought book while sipping a coffee.

The Book Store: Only English books, mostly for children. On Sarasota near Hotel Delta.

Bookies (Ave. 27 de Feb.): Stephen King kind of books.

Stand on El Conde St. (no name, right beside McDonalds): This is where I buy my books when I am not looking for something specific. They sell used books in many languages, you have to go thru all the stuff and get your hands dirty. Once in a while I find a jewel there. Please don't pay more than RD$15.00 for a book in English or he might charge me more next time.

Become a member of the Hellen Kellogg Library or the Dominico-Americano: Plenty books in English. The Hellen Kellogg Library is at 253 Avenida Independencia (betwen Osvaldo Baez and Danae behind the Church of the Epiphany which is beside the Hotel Casona Dorado). Dominico-Americano is on Lincoln directly across the Hotel Hispaniola.

Buy on Amazon: If you need something specific this is the way to get it. Have them shipped to a mail box in Miami, such as EPS (you have to be a member) and they will send it to you in DR for a fee.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Dominico-Americano on Estrella-Sadhal? has English language books. I have tons of books. Stop by and see if there is anything you like...
Email me..

HB

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
There is a Thesaurus in the mall in Santiago as well as the one in Santo Domingo. I frankly, don't remember if their English selection is as good as in Santo Domingo or not.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am curious about the customs process when ordering books from Amazon. Can you describe the process.

Also, Hillbilly...yes, I would be interested in meeting you when I arrive back on October 1st. I will contact you.

thanks all for the info.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy said:
I am curious about the customs process when ordering books from Amazon. Can you describe the process.

Most of us use one of the courier services, such as EPS. One of their services is to take the parcels they carry through Customs. For example, I don't see the parcels I get until I pick them up in the Sosua office of EPS.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Snuffy: There are no taxes on books, generally speaking. I wouldn't sweat that aspect of it. You would be better off if you can suscribe to the service offered by the missionary group. AGAPE, I think. I have an application in my computer. They are far, far cheaper than EPS-larcenous at least, or Business Mail-inefficient and quite expensive.

Besides there are tons of folks here that are in the Zona Franca, and you can network with them...

HB

See you in October...

emmawatson009

Aug 28, 2015
I live in Santiago but go to the capital occasionally. I am interested in places where I can buy books in English.

It is very simple. Today's there are lot of online book stores that sell and buy books at good prices. Check out some good online book stores such as Amazon, Oxford book store, Book Adda, AbeBooks, Zapper and eBay etc and then compare their prices.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have tons (well hundreds of pounds, at least) of English language books. Mostly manly fiction, but some female fiction as well.
I have lots of Lee Child, Daniel Silva, SM Sterling, etc....Fairly good condition, certainly readable.

I really should have a book sale/garage sale

HB

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
if you stay in DR for a long time and like to read a lot maybe an e-book reader would be an ideal solution for you? You can download any book you want in a few seconds and payment is easy.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At home libraries are great. Here not so much and for me buying a real book new or even used is just not worth the cost or the hassle to go out and get it.

A e-reader is just great. Lot's of free books on the internet, easy access to those books I absolutely must read for a reasonable price on Amazon and I don't need to climb over piles of books when I am done reading them.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
We get our books from Amazon and shipped here. EPS deals with all the customs issues. Obviously all packages get opened and looked at, resealed and forwarded on to us here in PC.

Otherwise buy a kindle and download - easier option with no customs involved :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not sure if you all realize this thread is 13 years old - it's from 2002. There WAS no Kindle back then, I think the first came out in 2007 or so.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.