Escotts vacation report...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well I flew into Santiago with all intentions of spending a day or two there and seeing the folks from DR1 there but...

I couldn't rent a car for Santiago on the Web. All tries came back empty. Called Hertz and they said that they didn't have a place in Santiago. I had tried here to get info about car rental there with no luck. A friend from Sosua picked me up and took me to Sosua and back and lent me his car for my time there but didn't get to hang out in Santiago. I will try to get there over Christmas/NewYears when I am there for 2 weeks. New Airport doesn't have any facilities there for car rental and didn't know there were companies just outside. Maybe they will have car rentals after they finish paving the road out?:) Sorry folks but I had all good intentions. Give the beeper gal my love AZB! LOL

The weather was nice in Sosua. Showers on and off but off enough sun to make it still worthwhile. The beach was great although I had a very busy schedual and only spent a half a day there on Saturday. I went to Playa Chicito Beach once as well. I found it very enjoyable. Rough surf coming in and no one there.

Town was completely dead. I have never seen it as quiet as it is and I was there last year a week after 9-11 and people were scared to fly then more than now.

Went to Cabarete a few times but just like Sosua it was completely dead as well. No crowds at the clubs on the beach even at 11 pm.

Had a terrible meal at a German place opposite the beach in Cabarete that had wood bench tables right on the road. Food was not nice.

Stopped into see Eddy which of course is always a pleasure. Tried to get back a few times but unfortunately Eddy wasn't there.

Went to High Caribean with Brad from Northcoast Diving on Thursday evening after hanging out at a dead Rockys. Heck it was Bikini night albeit it rained and not one person wore a bathing suit. We met 4 Canadian ladies that were teaching at the International School whom he promptly chased away with his suave sophistipated manner:) The place was dead so we called it a night after we made a stop and introduced him to my next wife:)

Had one great meal at Rockys Friday night when they had a Garlic Chicken special that was to die for. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and delicious! Um um um... A nice Australian Adrian who I believes frequents this board that lives in Santiago came over and had dinner along with a Bulgarian friend of mine and I think they enjoyed the meal as much as I did. All my other meals in town were just so so. Saturday night at Rockys was so busy I couldnt believe it. They had a rib special that was ok but they must have had over a hundred people in and out of there. They sold out of all their food and at times the place was 4 deep at the bar. It was nice to see after seeing the town look like a ghost town all week.

Had a decent Mexican meal with Bushbaby, his boss Ginny and a friend of ours Alberto which was nice on Sunday. I don't remember the name of the place but it was just past the stadium going back to Sosua on the ocean side of the road.

Met up with all most of my old aquaintences and friends, hung out, relaxed and found it a pleasant stay. Jane I saw Torsten and he said he didn't get email from you. I also hung out with Mic a bunch of nights. Jane, are you English?

I don't need big crowds and find them annoying at times anyway. The best thing about this trip is that I didn't run into that creep Richard there! Three cheers for not having to DEAL with him THIS time down! I hope I continue to stay lucky!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Nice report, jazz!

I wonder why he didn't get my mail...I will try again. I'm Canadian, not English...but my REAL name isn't Jane, so there may have been some confusion there.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scott

Nice report .I think tourism will pick up once the winter months arrive.Its kind of the time of the season now after the summer when no one really travels.Is the Merengue club still opened?If it was so dead,how were they standing 4 deep at Rockys Saturday night?
ILoveDR

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I am telling you that everything was so dead I didnt even see a Haitian whore in the street. I have no idea how it was so crowded at Rockys that one night but it was. I think every expat came in that night along with some Dominicans. The people from the Diveshop came in with all the clients from England I think and stayed and drank the whole night. Some even had wriststraps on.

JJ you are a silly goose. Did you want the name Jane when you were a kid? Rosa works for the Ministry of Culture in POP. I asked for you.

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Great report BUT

To bad you ruined a GREAT report with the RUDE remarks in the last paragraph.
Art

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: Great report BUT

Art Covey said:
To bad you ruined a GREAT report with the RUDE remarks in the last paragraph.
Art

Too bad for you if you don't like my remarks. Next time you won't have to read a thread written by me because you won't like the next one either so save yourself the time and effort.

I don't think that they were rude and I don't think anyone else thought the report was ruined by those remarks. Just pass over what I write next time and you will do both of us a favor.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Cafe Cito is located on the way to Puerto Plata about 1 kilometer past the last entrance to Playa Dorada. It's next to Avis rent a car and Harrison's jewelers.
If you take a taxi, it is also known as Plaza Isabel.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's owned by Tim Hall, also has the "popreport.com" web site.
Nice spot, good food and a great host.

Jazz, no need for the remarks, just causes us grief at DR1.

Good report, will see you in November!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Always up for nice people, good food and any sort of alcohol:) Heck I pass it to get to Costambar and Puerto Plata everytime I am there. I have checked out the website in the past.

Looking forward to Turkey with numero uno! Maybe we can get Ken to step out for a toast.