An American moving to DR where do I start?

Cristian

Sep 10, 2002
I'm moving to the Dominican Republic in November of this year. I would like to get some information, on what I need to do as far as my taxes, working permits, paperwork etc.. before I leave the country.
It will be my first time living in another country, I have some family in DR and am going because I love the country, see so much potential in the near future and believe now is the time to be there and also to live with my girlfriend who is from DR.

I already have my own home to live in, in the capital, and I am working on some leads for employment at this time. I am currently searching for employment in the tourism industry, Hotels/Resorts, my major is in Hotel/Retsaurant and Hospitality Management. I've been in the industry for 12 years now. I would appreciate if anyone with any contacts or suggestions please extend me some help.

My concern at the time is, what type of legal papers or documents do I need to have, in order to live, work , and in the future open my own business.
I would appreciate any type of help from you, thank you.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
How about looking through this site paying special attention to the archives from past posts as well as the "living" section and then reformulate some more specific questions? You will find that there is a wealth of general and specific information already provided.

kris

Apr 26, 2002
You need to get your residency papers in order to work legally in the D.R. and to qualify for expat. status.

Searh the archives under residency there is a lot of info. about it but also ALOT of other info. that you aren't necessarily interested in.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Look especially in the past threads in the Legal section. That is where you will find answers to many of your questions.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Where are you thinking of retiring to? The country is fairly big (not compared to America agreed - but large enough to have very different regions & cultures). If you are coming to the North Coast, I will see what I can do to put somes gems of wisdom your way. Drop me an e-mail - Grahame.