Getting around in Saman??

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hello

I plan to go to the Saman? peninsula from Santo Domingo. Apparently, it is easy to get to Samana city with bus from Santo Domingo. But then I would want to go to the north of the peninsula. I don't have a driver's license so renting a car is not an option. How do I get around? What do I pay?

Best,

mne

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I did this...

...a couple of years ago. You take the Caribe Tours Bus to Sanchez. Then get on the back of a pickup truck for the remaider of the trip to Las Terrenas. It is long and ardous about 4-5 hours with multiple stops, the longest being in San Francisco de Macorix. Good luck with your journey.

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
4-5 hours...! That would be more than the trip from Santo Domingo to Samana, wouldnt it? Ok, so be it... and taxi from Samana is not an option or what?

best,

mne

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
...or taxi from Sanchez for that matter...? Are you serious that it takes 4-5 hours from Sanchez to las Terrenas...? It can't be more than 20 kilometers/10 miles...?

mne

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
To get to Las Terrenas, get off the Caribe Tours or Metro bus in Sanchez and then catch a gua-gua (publico-public taxi) for the rest of the trip, about another 1/2 hour. Although there are private taxis at the bus stations in Sanchez and Samana, they cost considerably more.

From Samana, you can also get to Las Terrenas by way of el Limon by publico taxi. Take the publico to el Limon. It leaves from the Samana market and if you ask, the bus driver will drop you off there (providing you don't have any luggage under the bus in the compartment). In el Limon, take the next taxi to Las Terrenas. Although a longer route than Sanchez to Las Terrenas, the countryside views are worth it. The Sanchez to Las Terrenas will also provide some spectacular scenery as you go up and over the mountains.

For Las Galeras, you can catch the gua-gua also at the market or flag it down across the street from the bus stations.
It should be noted that the gua guas don't usually operate after 6pm so plan accordingly. Best to catch a morning bus from Santo Domingo and reach the Sanchez area of the peninsula no later than 4pm.

For further information, check out the Transportation section of www.samana.net

abe

Jan 2, 2002
The views between Samana and el Limon

Just to underscore an earlier post, I have seen a lot of parts of many countries and I could not take my nose from the window on certain stretches of highway between Samana and el Limon.

Spectacular.

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
How nice! Thanks for the advice. Now, without asking, I got information on how to get to El Limon also, which was the actual place I wanted to visit. So thank you Andy for your extensive information and to the others too. Yes, I might be interested in accomodation tips. I had a look at your website but maybe you could give me some specific advice. I am interested in finding accomodation in some seaside resort not far from to El Lim?n. I might also be interested in spending a night in El Lim?n but are there actually any accomodation options there?

What about advice in general. I've only been in DR for a couple of days and haven't really learned to know the country yet. Anything specific I should think about, travelling alone to and in Saman?? What about bringing my camcorder? If the views are that spectacular, it would be nice to use it, but would it be a good idea?

One more question, you say that going with an ordinary taxi would be expensive. How much would it be approximately, from Saman? ciudad to El Limon for example?

Best,

mne

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Ok...more of me:
(i would be leaving friday and back sunday already already so that's why I am anxious)

So now I am thinking that I'll go to Saman? City first, I'll find a hotel in the city or some place nearby (what would you suggest?). Then I'll go up early next day, make a visit to El Lim?n, go to a hotel at a beach not far from there and then go back to Saman? and home (SD) the day after.
So my specific questions (except for previous ones) would be:
- Where do I stay in or around Saman? city? Where is the nearest beach?
- What place not far from El Lim?n would be worth visiting and where do I stay?
- Would it be unwise to show up in Samana City or in Las terrenas late afternoon without having booked a hotel or is a room easily found on location?
- The taxi publico that leaves from Samana market, how many routes per day does it do? Or is it the same type as TB's in Santo Domingo, i.e. no shedules?

Note: 1. My budget is not very big. 2. I would probably not prefer the all-inclusive type of resort things.

Another thing, does anyone know where I can find (the bus company) Metro's shedules or at what times their buses leave for Saman??

Thank you!

mne

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The nearest accommodations to el Limon are in Las Terrenas. Staying in el Limon??? The only thing in the little village there is the waterfall some 30 to 45 minutes by horseback off in the jungle. Although there may be some private rooms for rent in a few Dominican's homes, there are no hotels in el Limon that I'm aware of.

Of the hotels in Samana, I recommend Tropical Lodge. John and Brigett are nice folks and they've been there over 15 years.

By all means bring your camcorder. Just use care as you would with anything of value in your travels.

Traveling in the DR and on the Samana Peninsula is pretty safe. Just use your head as you would in traveling in any unfamilar place. Private taxi from Samana to el Limon will probably be about $300rd, publico about $40rd. Same for Sanchez to Las Terrenas.

For more specific information, email me through the link here or use the sales or comments at Samana.Net mail links.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Tropical Lodge, etc.

I would echo that recommendation. I stayed at Tropical Lodge, but at first I was hustled by people who ran a hotel up in back of Tropical Lodge. As I approached the office of TL, a man emerged from the front of the office and whisked me away and up the hill.

It turned out to be a different and far inferior property and the guy was apparently poaching guests from TL!!!! So, be sure you are actually talking to John and Bridgett and being checked into TL--Great little swimming pool to cool off in and great continental breakfast.

I took the private taxi from Samana to Las Terrenas through el Limon and it was indeed 300 pesos. Worth every peso in terms of freedom and comfort. Hold on to your teeth, though. The last couple of miles into Las Terrenas are bumpier than you can ever imagine. But the road stays that way to keep the traffic down and going slowly. On purpose.

Enjoy.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
It sounds to me like...

...youre going to attempt a similar adventure to mine a few years back. Heres my take:

Comments on Hotel Bahia Las Ballenas,
Las Terrenas, Samana Peninsula D.R.

I had the sublime pleasure to spend some time at this resort last week(July 03/2001). It is located on the beautiful Playa Bonita in Las Terrenas on the Samana peninsula of the Dominican Republic.
I decided on this resort because of the fact it provided a great for a laid back holiday full of relaxation and beautiful surroundings. The trip to Las Terrenas from the Capital was grueling, five hours via Caribe tours to Sanchez and then on the back of a pick-up truck the rest of the way to Playa Bonita.
You arrive to a thatched roof reception area where Chrystel La Fontainne and her staff greet you and welcome you to their slice of paradise. I had requested a room close to the beach and was given Hamaca 1,which was literally 20 meters from the sand.
We retreated to our room, which was in the "Mexican" motif. They are situated in clusters of four for a total of 32 rooms scattered about the property. Some surrounded the lovely free-form swimming pool, others faced the ocean, and others had garden view. The bathroom was open-air and was quite refreshing after a shower. The room had a ceiling fan and with the windows open at night was cool enough for sleeping. One thing I will never forget was the lullaby of the ocean crashing against the beach each night. Never needed to count sheep!
Perhaps the greatest aspect of this resort is the level of personal service received. Paco and his soux-chefs as well as the bar and wait staff were all outstanding. Each meal was prepared individually with precision worthy of a 4 star restaurant here in NY. One night I had freshly grilled Lobster with a lambi salad and the other I had a filet of snapper in a mustard-pepper sauce. The portions are huge and the food is simply delicious. There are no recycling uneaten all-inclusive buffets here as every meal is made to order.
The Beach I found to be a little rough in front of our hotel but a short walk 20 meters to the right or left brings you the most azure tranquil setting of a beach one could dream of. We spent hours lounging and bathing one day even staying until sunset. My wife and I witnessed a spectacular sunset as the sun took a dip too!
The only way to get to town is by moto-concho so I rented one. One day we motored to Salto de Limon Falls which is a natural waterfall hidden in the mountains of Las Terrenas. After walking through two tons of horseshit up a mountain we were greeted by the cascading waterfall where tourists bathe. I took a dip and looked around for a while. It was stunning, must see if you go to the area. Tipped the kids who guided us shoeless $100.00 pesos each. Did not take the horse ride, which means you need to be fit to make the trek up the mountain. It was arduous.
This resort is a great place to relax, reflect, unwind etc. This is not a place for the action minded or party animal but rather a great place to enjoy nature and the company of someone you go with. A hotel like this on anotherisland would easily cost upwards to $400.00 per night so it's a great bargain too.

I haven't made up my mind yet whether I would return, but I sincerely hope to.

Ronald McIntosh