EPS Boxes

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Moving to Juan Dolio the end of this month. Read on DR1 to get EPS box to better ensure mail delivery from US. How does this mail system work? My husband has obtained the EPS box in Juan Dolio. He is not fluent in Spanish and did not understand all the info given to him. He was given a card with our EPS # that has a P.O. Box #/street address in Miami. Do I forward our mail to the P.O. Box or the street address in Miami (or does it matter) and how do they know the mail needs to be sent to Juan Dolio? Also, can packages be sent to an EPS box or just letters? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I want to make sure I get my mail!!! Thanks in advance for all responses!!

Linda

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The P.O. Box address is for letter-mail and the physical address is for parcels and packages. (I believe magazines can count as letter-mail.)

Your EPS number will indicate that your mail should be directed to Juan Dolio.

You'll get your mail pretty safely, with the odd screw-up, and inflated cost here and there. You probably won't want to have ALL your mail redirected to you from home, and God forbid you should get added to a catalogue mailing list to your EPS address ...This happened to me at my work address and led to a lot of sneaking around...It was expensive!

It's good to test out the national postal system from time to time also, as I usually have good luck with them. Non-important mail could go to your real physical address in JD and timely and more important things to EPS.

Good Luck!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
When I send mail to a friend in Juan Dolio

I include the whole address - PO Box # and street address. As I understand it, everything goes first to Miami the EPS transfers it to Juan Dolio.

T

TiberiusMineola

"Business Mail" Worth a try?

EPS has a reputation of being a good to very good service, but very expensive. You get charged for mail by the piece! Ouch!! You might try a relative newcomer - Business Mail; it has offices in Santo Domingo, Santiago, & Puerto Plata. You can pay by the month & receive unlimited mail, with extra charges for freight [defined as anything weighing more than 1 lb]. I've been using BusMail since Nov 2001. Deliveries from Miami @ twice per week. Reliable with a reasonable cost. Generally, I'm well satisfied.

Linda C

May 17, 2002
EPS Boxes/Business Mail

Thanks for all responses. So how does the EPS system work. When someone in the US mails a letter do they pay US postage, because it goes to Miami first, and then do I pay the international postage? How much does mail cost per piece? How much does it cost per month to use the newcomer 'Business Mail' in Santo Domingo? Thanks!!

Linda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: EPS Boxes/Business Mail

Linda C said:
So how does the EPS system work. When someone in the US mails a letter do they pay US postage, because it goes to Miami first, and then do I pay the international postage?

The person sending the mail pays postage to get the letter to the Miami address. EPS, a courier service like FedEx, etc., flies the mail it receives to the Dominican Republic, where it is distributed to the regional offices. Your EPS identification number tells EPS which office it goes to. Mail arriving at the regional offices is sorted and given to the recipients when they go to the office to check on their mail.