ofshore news diferent from local ??

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
The power has been out in Boca Chica since 5am (I know because that's when the air conditioner went out). This is the longest blackout I've seen in Boca Chica for many months. It hasn't gone out for more than an hour or two for quite some time. In nearby Andres, there is unrest.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
2 dead , more then 50 wounded , police clashes with home made firebombs sounds more then unrest.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, Paul, it's been on the evening news

Paul,
It's been on the Spanish langauge evening news here in the U.S. (Telemundo @ 11 pm) several times in the last week or so, usually showing the violence in Capotillo. Looked pretty bad in the report I saw Wed. or Thurs.
Regards,
Keith

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Thats what I mean, you say it was on a US channel.
I get my entire local news from DR1 that takes the news from various local newspapers. Now either I missed it or it was not reported.
None of my local friends said anything about it. As nothing ever had happened. One person made a remark re some disturbances. Wel I would consider this a major news item.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
From Friday's DR1 news:

Protests continued in the low-income barrios suffering from the extended hours of blackouts. News reports say that approximately 28 individuals were injured in demonstrations taking place in Cristo Rey, Gualey, Capotillo, Espaillat, Mendoza and Las Palmas.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Thanks . must have missed it.
Still this story does not have the same impact.
Any way my trust in thje DR1 news has been renewed.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Unrest has not been highlighted abroad

The street riots in DR cities and towns have not been widely reported abroad. In fact, for their significance locally, DR newspapers have been conservative in their approach. When the PLD was in power huge photos of hooded rioters shooting at police were frecuently shown.

The recent protests have been the worst since the 1984 riots that left 185 dead. Yet, you can't tell by looking at the local press. The Miami Herald reported today in its Latin roundup the news after the fact. It was all quiet over the weekend, but tuesday night and wednesday will be one to watch if Hipolito does not come up with a miracle.

I had first hand view of some of the riots. For instance Isabel Aguiar Avenue in Herrera was a huge mess from the intersection of Pintura all the way to the Kennedy. Some corners like San Anton, Mexico St. and in the Las Palmas area were full of burning tires. Rioters were cautiously throwing rocks and using home made bazookas with PVC tubes(noise makers to scare police) as a trial baloon. But few were using the "chilenas"(home made guns) or actual firing weapons or bombs. The police was likewise timid on Hipolito's orders. However, rioters will not stand for more extensions after Tuesday's Hipolito's speech. If blackouts continue the real thing will come(real gunfire between rioters and police)

Notice that only three people died. One died in San Cristobal, another one in Cristo Rey and one at Isabel Aguiar. The Cristo Rey guy died of a bullet wound in the head of unknown origins. The one in Herrera was a rioter who went after the SWAT team member after his 12 gauge gun misfired. When the rioter jumped him the gun fired this time opening up the rioter's chest.

I have seen people in the barrios collecting used tires, mattresses, plastic 5 gallon cans and styrofoam for the next go-around. The elctricity thing is not the only problem. If electric bills go up along with the prices of basic goods, watch for the fireworks.

TW

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
GO RIOTERS!!!!!!...except don't clash with the Police....go find those crooked politicians and DEMAND your money back!!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
golo said:
The recent protests have been the worst since the 1984 riots that left 185 dead. ..........I have seen people in the barrios collecting used tires, mattresses, plastic 5 gallon cans and styrofoam for the next go-around. The elctricity thing is not the only problem. If electric bills go up along with the prices of basic goods, watch for the fireworks.

Those 1984 riots have been very much on my mind lately. The surprising thing to me isn't that serious trouble is brewing, but that it hasn't erupted before this.

The Dominicans have been exceptionally tolerant of abuse. Sure, the publicity given to civil unrest, if it comes, will hurt the country internationally and likely mean many that many who might otherwise have come here this coming winter will go elsewhere, but it is important that at least those who frequent this board keep in mind that there would have been some sort of citizen backlash before this in most, of not all, the countries represented.

Based on my admitedly limited experience, for the info of occasional visitors to the DR, should there be "fireworks", it is unlikely that the intensity would be the same in all parts of the country. (The fact that many of us living in the country had no idea anything was going on during the past few days is evidence of that.) Some comunities, like Nagua, Gaspar Hernandez, San Francisco de Macoris, the barrios of Santo Domingo, etc., will be hotbeds while other areas, like Samana and Sosua will be quiet. I was living in Samana during the 1984 unrest and there was no evidence of anything abnormal going on, except there was no bus service to other areas and the supply trucks couldn't get to Samana. Those experiencing the most difficulty were the tourists in the hotels who had flights booked for days when there were huelgas (strikes). On those days public transportation doesn't move, and even if the drivers wanted to they couldn't get through because of the road blocks put up by aroused citizens in some of the communities along the highway between Samana and the airport.

I would think this would be about the same in other tourist communities.

I very much hope there will be no trouble of any magnitude. Adverse international press is the last thing the country needs as it tries to recover from the severe tourist slump in the past 2 years. But I do worry as I see the government borrow and spend, the value of the peso fall against the dollar, the hours of electrical service decrease while the price increases, the unemployment rate rises, etc., etc. Life is hard and getting harder for Dominicans.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Jim Hinsch said:
The power has been out in Boca Chica since 5am (I know because that's when the air conditioner went out). This is the longest blackout I've seen in Boca Chica for many months. It hasn't gone out for more than an hour or two for quite some time. In nearby Andres, there is unrest.

Turns out the power outage in Boca Chica is unrelated. A drunk knocked down a power line pole. Then the repairman was electrocuted while fixing it (but is alive). Power is back on.