Watch out for the highwaymen

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Just a word of caution, especially for those who conduct regular banking operations or have small businesses with daily cash flow, like grocery stores, minimarkets and retail outlets.

Last night another grocer was killed in a "safe" neighborhood called Gala after being followed by robbers from his grocery store in Los Prados to his house in Gala. He was shot mercilessly and his house and car sprayed with bullets just to steal his money and gun.

This is happening everyday, everywhere. Stalkers sometimes helped by bank guards, look-up scouts and even children informers are all over the place. Some specialize following people after they withdraw money from ATM machines. Watch for hot days like the 15th. and 30th. of the month.

Motoconchos are now safer than concho cars, where fake concho drivers are increasing and kidnapping people to steal their money and jewels.

TW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know if it is true, but I've heard that the US recently deported some Dominicans who were prison inmates and that these criminal-types are now on the streets of the DR. Am wondering if this is true, and whether this might help explain some of the increase in criminal activity reported by golo.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken, I thought they did that on a regular basis?

USA trained Domincan criminals, we have covered this in the news and on the board before. Scary!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If they are deported from prison in the US, why does the Dominican government let them roam free? I recall when Castro allowed a large number of people to leave Cuba and go to the US. He included a number of criminals in the group. The US rounded them up and imprisoned them in the US.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
As long as we are on the subject of ne'er do wells, be wary of random Dominicans who ask you the time of day (hint: how often do you encounter Dominicans with legitimate interest in the time of day). Sometimes an innocent question, it is also used fairly frequently as a gambit to guage your nationality and/or language skills. I've had several people tell me they were the target of attempted scams, aggressive panhalding, and sometimes the victims of petty crimes after having answered that question. It comes up more often than it probably should when riding alone with carro publico drivers, especially at night (something to avoid unless you are able to look after yourself, by the way).

HAPPENS EVERYWHERE, DR, Detroit. Miami, Toronto, Hong Kong ,what else is new, watch the store keeper leave to deposit days receipts and then knock him off. When he puts up a fuss they ice him.
Been going on since the roaring 20's, sadly unchecked by law enforcement.

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Does this mean I should not use the public taxis? I am new in SD, and I don't have a car. I still haven't really understood how the public transportation system functions so I have only gone with carros p?blicos a few times, but I was planning to use them more. Would you say that walking is safer?

By the way (arturo), what is the right thing to do when someone approach you and starts a conversation and you know that what they want is your money? It is not always difficult to get what is going on, but what is more difficult is to find a way out of it...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
mne01 put a freaking gun to their heads right away. Don't even bother waiting to find out if they mean you harm. They will soon learn to not mess with you.

Or you can just NOT carry larges sums of money, walk like a turkey or quack like a duck.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Taxi cabs

I believe in past threads we have dealt with the safety of taxis in DR. But taxis are safer than conchos anytime. The thing to do is to call your cab company, secure the number of the cab to pick you up, verify the rate and look for the cab companies logo.

Watch out for "gypsies" who monitor the cab radio frequency and steal passengers. Some gypsies may be robbers.

TW

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Ok, I was referring to the public taxis (conchos). I wasn't aware that the ordinary taxis too were a safety problem. In any case I couldn't afford going with a normal taxi whenever I want to go somewhere. My colleague told me however, that I should choose the guaguas, that they are safer than the conchos.

jazzcom, I don't know if that was a joke (i hope it was). I don't have a gun and I don't consider buying one. So I am still curious about how to avoid problems in the street without using a gun. I don't carry large sums of money but the "harassers" are hardly aware of this fact. And I can't exactly open my wallet to show them, can I?

mne

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My opinion...
It seems safer here than many cities in USA. But still I don't take a public car after dark. And when you get a taxi check the number. I was stupid one night when walking home from my old job at 2 in the morning. A guy in a yellow van stopped and asked me if I wanted a ride. I thought he was a taxi and said no thanks..I haven't any money. He was so nice(stupid me) and said it was O.K. ..it was a slow night and he'd take me free. Well ...stupid me...I got in. Instantly there was 2 police motorcycles around the van...4 cops. They made the guy get out and asked me where I was goiung. The guy even had some I.D. hanging from the rear view window! They told me it was O.k. for me to go with him but he wasn't a taxi. But the police followed him the whole way to my house! After it was all over I realized how stupid I was, and I thank God for the coppers! Thats one of the reasons I had to quit the job I had. I never had a problem walikng home in the night except for that once.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
After dark, there is a chance that the concho you take may not be a LEGIT concho car. They usually have a couple of passengers (robbers) already inside and often pick up another one along the way. Then they all tag up on you and beat you up. They will rob you and throw you out of the car so quickly that you wouldn't even have time to think about the whole incident.
This has happened to 2 female friends of mine but never to a man that i know of. If the place is quiet, they might even do more than robbery.
So get to know your concho drivers on the regular route that you take and don't get inside a suspicious looking concho (after dark) with only men inside.
(P.S. in 5 years of living in DR, I have only heard of these 2 incidents in santiago. I used to hear horror mugging stories in NYC all the time and even had seen crime committed in front of my eyes on regular bases.
DR is still more safer than the majority of US cities.)

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Guaguas and voladoras

Those who take the above have to watch for pickpockets. Many cellulars, jewelry also dissapear from you body easily on a bus.

Take Metro or Caribe Tour buses for safe ride and safety.

TW

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
One big difference between the DR and America. In the DR, you are responsible for providing your own personal and property safety. Bars on every window, watchman for anything of value, every man for himself on the road, and the police are not renowned to be of "to protect and serve". But don't get caught talking on your cell phone while driving!

On the other hand, violent crime isn't the norm. Why would it be. It's so much easier to just steal when the lights are out.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Just when I thought it was safe...........

to take Caribe Tours, a bus crashed head on with a truck yesterday with both drivers dying and many wounded.

Did I act as a "bad omen"? Well, it was not Caribe Tours fault. The truck tried to make a dangerous pass and when straight to the bus. It could happen to anybody with these wild drivers.

TW

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Precisely what I DIDN'T want to read.......

as we're thinking of flying into PoP next trip down and taking the bus to SD and Juan Dolio. I thought with all the new highways it would be a little safer driving!! Guess we're going to have to re-think our agenda!!