Transporting Vehicle to DR

Linda C

May 17, 2002
I heard that you can transport one vehicle, duty free, into the DR if you have established residency. Is this true? Also heard that it costs $500 US dollars to ship a car from Miami to DR. Is this true? It all sounds too good to be true!!! Thanks in advance to any responses!!

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It is my understanding that you have to have owned the car for at least 5 years previous to the import date. And it is not so good as it sounds, expect lots of inconveniences and NOTHING is completely tax-free in DR.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Importing a vehicle

The law 168-67 establishes a tax incentive, not an exemption, for importing a vehicle to the DR under the following circumstances:

1. The owner has to establish permanent residency in the DR (having obtained the residency permit in the DR).

2. The owner has to have lived for at least 2 years abroad (copy of the passport).

3. The owner has to prove that he owned this vehicle for at least one year (vehicle must have been registered in his name in the country of his residency for at least one year).

4. The owner has to provide a valid driver license from the country of his residency.

How high the taxes ultimately are, depends on the individual circumstances and on "the interpretation of the law" on that day you want to take your vehicle out of customs.

It is always a good idea to contact an experienced and honest custom agent in advance. I assume he can also give you a price for the transportation.

Good luck!

Julio & Chris

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
As a note.....on shipping charges.....

Anyone I know that has brought a vehicle into the country has paid $1000. in transport charges. They have also had an "In" in customs to get the vehicle out without having to pay exhorbitant duties (although they did pay good sized bribes!).
Those that I know who didn't have an "In" at customs paid through the nose or still have vehicles sitting on the docks......
Better to buy here in most cases......IMHO.