Festivals in the DR

Kekamba

Aug 21, 2002
Hello,
I'm not to sure where to post this thread so I hope that I came to the right place. I am currently studing Travel and Tourism as my career major and I have to do an assignment on any festival of choice. Loving the DR I chose it but I do not know of any festivals down there. Which one is the best... the biggest... most fun... attracts the most people. Puerto Plata in particular if you know of any thing... love that place. Anyway hope to get some responses ASAP as the assignment is due in a week today. I'm at a deadend.
Kekamba

Kekamba

Aug 21, 2002
Merengue Festival

Alright I have found a festival... the Merengue Festival. Is that one any good... I still have not come across any good info on it or any others and I have been looking for over an hour and a half now. Any info on the Merengue Festival would be great or if you know of any sites that provide info on it. Thanks.
kekamba

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
It used to be good...

...it generally takes place the last week of July on the Malecon in Santo Domingo. Years ago they used to close the whole Malecon from Avenida Peurto to Maximo Gomez and it was like a huge open air discoteque with free merengue performances on sound stages set up all along the seafront boulevard. Nowadays it is just two stages at the Avenida Puerto end and way to crowded to even get involved with. Does anyone out there know why it has changed so much. I used to take a trip from New York there once a year just for the fest, now it doesny interest me so much