Casas Particulares in Santo Domingo

joencox

May 26, 2002
Anyone know someone who rents rooms in their own house/apartment? I prefer the Zona Colonial, but anything centrally located would be okay. Any idea what the going rate generally is?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
To be honest, I have never heard of this here, thats not to say it's doesn't happen. It's a little different to Cuba...

joencox

May 26, 2002
Yes, A "Home Stay"

Actually, I've done it all over, Brasil, Mexico, and yes Cuba. I've just found the times of stayed with real people rather than hotels to be so much more meaningful, like I've really gotten a sense of what a country is all about. Hotels can be VERY isolating for solo travellers (who aren't looking to pay for their own "company".
Muchas gr?cias to anyone who can ask around. Oh, for the record, I do speak Spanish and love the chance to improve it with native speakers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Somebody might take pity on this guy, but I doubt it..

For the most part, those that live in the areas that he is talking about do not have any need to rent out--perhaps he will be the first of a new sector in the tourist industry//--but I tend to doubt it..

HB

I honestly have not ever seen this rent a room in that area.--For students, yes-long term, but not for a few days...hummmm....

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Maybe it's too late now but I found something in the classifieds that might be an option for you:
Jose Mart? 178, con mucho confort, habts amuebl. desde $2500 mensuales, $150 diario adelante. Extranjero o caballero resp. Inf 238-9518 Checho

I also saw another one in Ens Espaillat that charged as little as $60/night. They demanded guests with "ambiente cristiano" however and I don't know if you feel that that applies to you. I'l look up the number if you want to though.

(Those are all pesos, not US$ of course)

Good Luck!

mne

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I know a room for rent. It's in an apartment where there are a few rooms rented out. It's not necessarily someones home. But this is for long term stays of at least a month.

There is another I'm working on. A friend has a room for rent and will have more info soon.

But the thing is when you do rent a room in someones home it is best to meet the people first, in my opinion, and see if you all get along. It's not always easy trying to follow some peoples rules when you are in their home like curfew and such.