newcommer in DR

Dumitru

Sep 18, 2002
Hi all,

I'll arrive in Santo Domingo in November and I have absolutely no ideea on how expensive life is in DR ...
can anybody give me an ideea on how much living costs in SD (including taxes, rent, etc) ?

any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why come in the first place? Do you know Spanish?
Why not go to Mexico?, Nicaragua?
Columbia?

Do you have a job here? Are you going to find work? How?

HB:(

Dumitru

Sep 18, 2002
I checked the archives, didn't find anything about this particular subject.

I speak a little Spanish, and I was offered a job at one of the telecomm. companies, but I don't know if what they are offering (about 30.000/month) will cover my expenses... so if you could give me an idea, I would appreciate it.

PS
If you want to call getting out of the Eastern Europe "escaping", yeah, that's probably it ... ;)

rocvill

Sep 17, 2002
HILLBILLY is life that hard in D.R last time i heard things were getting better.

ps: DIMITRU 30.000/month is preatty good my aunt gets 15.000/every 15 days and shes living comfterbly.

reoz

Feb 10, 2002
I have been reading this message board for a couple of years now. It seems to me that the replies are getting more cynical and less helpful....
I hope this is not a trend......

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
What do you mean by "less helpful"?

Would it be more helpful for people to commit to moving to the DR without knowing the facts? Some of them say that they're going to.

Actually, in his case, he would at least have a job, so he might consider it , after much more investigation of course.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Dumitru, are you Rumanian perhaps?

Clues are Eastern Europe and Spanish (another Latin language).

I have been there. Interesting place with smart, friendly people who were repressed under Communism. Has a lot of potential.

Dumitru

Sep 18, 2002
Yes, I'm Romanian.

Why are you all so cautious about anyoane moving to DR? What facts should be considered? Are there some serious downsides that I don't know about?
please let me know, I'm not trying to upset anyone, just need some information...
besides having a job (which is obviously vital) what king of "investigation" should I do ?

thank you

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Dumitru

I know that Romanians have suffered through years of poverty and lack of consumer items, but things may already be looking up. Look at their stock market - up about 70% this year while most of the world crashes.

Look what happened to Finland after removal of the communist threat. Of course Finland never had the crime problems (youth gangs, etc.) that Romania has; but with an educated, determined people Rumania should still advance rapidly. You should ultimately have much greater employment opportunities there than in the DR.

Despite all the problems of Romania, would you be prepared for the lack of (or at least diminished) basic services in the DR - police protection, credible legal system, potable water (or any water), electricity - plus insane driving, etc. By the way, consumer prices are a lot higher in the DR than Romania - another irony of the DR is those high prices with such a low wage base.

Of course, having a job is a big plus. If the DR is so attractive to you, go for it (or anything else), but investigate further.

Dominican society is exceptionally open and friendly, which is to me the attraction of the DR. But then, Romanians are very friendly too.

P.S. Feel free to email me if you'd like, although I won't be able to respond for a couple of days.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I think it goes like this: We've seen too many a times that someone sees a picture of the DR, a commercial, was told a story by someone who stayed in an All-Inclusive and based on that the person decided that the DR is paradise and that by virtue of arriving here all his/her problems will dissappear.

Anyone with 2 cents of brain knows that paradise doesn't exist, and that even if moving to a high-standard-of-living country one will encounter many problems and disillusions. More so when moving to an underdeveloped country like ours. We (DR1ers) are just tired of people that despite our best advice "close store" at home and then move here and later complain that it isn't like that poster picture he saw in the travel agency (unless you do want to live in an isolated beach and eat coconuts all day a la Yosemite Sam).

This is a lovely country, of course I am biased cause I am Dominican, but I don't know (or have been) to any other place I'd rather be. If I move, when I move, it'll be to that isolated beach to eat coconuts all day. My point is... a message board is a lousy place to search information you'll use as the basis for your decision to move abroad. How about a 6-month trial, don't close shop, don't sell your house yet, etc?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
RD$30,000 is a very good start, take it, you will survive no problem. Once your here and active, you can always start the move up the wage ladder. It's always easier to get a job when you have a job, especially in this market. The job market isn't that good in the DR right now, so if you can get a start, take it.

One last word of advice. I would thoroughly check out your new job.
You wouldn't be the first person to turn up in the DR and the job didn't actually exist.