immunisations

tracy parrott

Jan 19, 2002
hi

I am hoping to travel to the dominican this October from the UK. We are being advised to take malaria tablets [i have a 5 and 6 year old] anad don't feel very happy about this. are they really necessary? Prompt reply would be appreciated.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
They are not necessary at all, especially if you don't feel comfortable taking them. If you are staying in a resort especially, don't bother with them. If you are in the campo on the other hand, it's better to be safe, if you want to take them.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You and Your Health Provider can read this link

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/caribean.htm

But I agree in anything but well in country or very close to Haiti it is not required - in AI resorts especially in the major areas, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata etc., not at all.

You might say where you are going and in what type of surroundings you intend to stay.

peros

Sep 3, 2002
Before you take ANY malaria tablets make sure you check up on their side-effects.

There is one brand in particular that is highly recommended - but it has some really really devastating side-effects ........ so if your doc does give them to you make sure you do some research on them.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I would take lots of bug spray (insect repellant)

and a #30 or better sunscreen and not worry about the malaria pills.
Also a fabric softner sheet tucked into a pocket or pinned to a shirt will keep the mosquitos away quite nicely. Just use a fresh one twice a day and tuck the used ones into your suitcase to add a fresh scent to your clothes.
I think dengue is much more of a threat than malaria unless you are specifically going to an area where malaria is prevalent (see above posts).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife and I have been living in the DR for 16 years and have never taken a malaria pill. But neither do we go to Haiti or areas near the border where malaria is more prevalent

Apr 26, 2002
Bring insect repellent and forget about Malaria. Never heard of a case in the DR. But be careful with children and deet, the active ingredient in most repellents. Don't use it on the face or the trunk of the body.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Look for the one that is formulated for children!

It has a lower concentration of Deet (10%) so is safer for them.
I put the sunscreen on first then the insect repellant. Just remember to re-apply often and you shouldn't need it much during the bright sun hours if you are staying at an all -inclusive. Most of them spray so there aren't many mosquitos around.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
It's rare, but it happens in the DR

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Bring insect repellent and forget about Malaria. Never heard of a case in the DR. But be careful with children and deet, the active ingredient in most repellents. Don't use it on the face or the trunk of the body.

PR,
You may have not heard of any malaria cases in the DR, but they do happen -- at least according to OPS/PAHO. According to them, there is a risk of malaria in the DR, but not so high that taking prophylactics (the awful pills everyone is refering to) is recommended for all visitors. The recommendation to use insect repellent containing deet (in my experience, any repellent not containing deet will not help you in the DR) is sensible, especially since one runs a higher risk from dengue than malaria in the DR, and its vector is the same mosquito. [My wife, a dominicana who usually does not get bitten much by mosquitos, was struck by dengue in 1998 while we lived in Santo Domingo. And no, we didn't live in a bad part of town or near a large body of standing water.] You can utilize a repellent with lower quantities of deet for kids, just don't spray it dircetly on their face. Instead, spray some into your own hands, then apply it to the child's face. In other words, same precautions you would (hopefully) take if you were hiking or camping in the U.S.
Best regards,
Keith

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Re: Look for the one that is formulated for children!

MommC said:
It has a lower concentration of Deet (10%) so is safer for them.
I put the sunscreen on first then the insect repellant. Just remember to re-apply often and you shouldn't need it much during the bright sun hours if you are staying at an all -inclusive. Most of them spray so there aren't many mosquitos around.

Momma C,
I can't find a repellant with 10%. I know that you had posted this before, and we have been looking. I found some Repel with sunscreen and 20% DEET.

What brand do you use, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks,
Mainer

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bug Repellant, 30+ Sun Screen....and relax. Been here a lot longer an the others, none of my brood have suffered anything other than colds....
And that is a lot of kids..

HB :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'll have to ask my daughter-in-law mainer.....

I'm all out (or sent it home in a packsack by mistake is more like it!).
Don't know if it would be available there though as Canadian formulations are usually produced in Canada and oft-times differ from the American formulations.
Will try to let you know tomorrow.....
If all else fails....take your 20 % and mix 50/50 with a #30 or better sunscreen (yes they should mix) ....that will dilute the insect repellent to 10%. Just make sure you mix thoroughly.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
For John.....yes the fabric softner sheets do work!!

It's been tested and proven and is advocated by sources such as Prevention magazine and the Queen of Clean!! Apparently the strong floral scent masks the body odour that attracts the mosquitos ( I guess they think you're just a flower so don't come around)!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
mainer.....I just found some!! Not the kids formulation of the OFF variety but I use Skintastic for myself and for them (4 yrs and 16 months old). It only contains a 6.65% DEET concentration and must be re-applied every 2-3 hours! I like it because it's non-greasy and also moisturizes.
It works great on the mosquitos and black flies....especially in the early evening when you're looking for your golf ball in the bush!!:)
It smells nice ans doesn't stain your clothes like some of them do!!

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Mommc how are you,I won't say anymore about that sheet,except i really would not want to spend a weekend fishing trip in the middle of june here in the north with just my sheet. Now are you saying you mix your sun screen and bug repellant together and then you put in on.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In a pinch....yes! Did you know that there are several bug repellents now being produced with sunscreen already in the mix?
And my hubby was VERY skeptical of the sheets until he tried stuffing them in his socks before heading to the golf course (no-one can see them that way!). He says they really keep the mosquitos from biting his ankles!!hehehe

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Okay

Color me dumb, especially since I was a Chemistry major in college.

Does N,N-diethyl meta toluamide = DEET?

I have Skintastic, but I didnt know that this was DEET. It also doesn't work on the black flies during Baseball season. (Must be because I forgot the dryer sheets.)

Thanks,
Mainer

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Mainer the sheets don't work for black flies!!

Just for mosquitos....and I don't know what the label says on your Skintastic but ours reads
Guarantee DEET 6.65%, Related Toluamides 0.35% [unquote]
In Canada it is manufactured by S.C.Johnson & Son Ltd. and is an OFF product. It does work for black flies also.....label says apply SMALL amount and rub in WELL.

I've been using Skintastic for myself ever since it came out (as a back woods camper trust me I've used every type that's been available for the past 50 yrs! ) My son owned a bush lot that we cleared part of and set up a camp and there was a small stream on the property. Lot of black flies, mosquitos, deer flies etc.etc.

If anyone thinks mosquitos are bad in the DR. they need to visit Northern Ontario in April and May.......

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
DEET (chemical name, N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the active ingredient in many insect repellent products. It is used to repel biting pests such as mosquitoes and ticks

(excerpted from the US EPA)