Satanic cults?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Today's news said that 81% of Dominicans are concerned about youth involved with satanic cults.

What the?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes Jane......It is a growing concern!

There were a number of incidents not well covered by the media while we were in the DR this past winter.
It is a concern for all.......

doug

Jan 1, 2002
cults

I think this is a very high estimate....I really don't thinks that that many ppl in the DR are into that......to make that many ppl give it a thought!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
When I was a kid I was very much into Heavy Metal. Of course I didn't get a tattoo, neither did I use anything like drugs, in fact I drank my first alcoholic beverage after I had left home and went to the University.

Back in those days Huchy Lora (a well known journalist) took it on himself to convince parents that Ozzy was a devil worshiper (aha :rolleyes: ) and that songs like "Hotel California" had "subliminable" messages and other assorted horsecrap. Needless to say there was a big stir and the nuns in my school decided I was a lost case (they might have been up to something there).

If you tune in a number of Puerto Rican and Dominican Christian TV channels around here you'll hear people saying that the Internet is the "weapon of the Anti-Christ" and this and that. People that doesn't know better are very gullible, and they get easily convinced that "something is going on".

Still 81% sounds like heck lot of people. Unless by "satanic cults" they mean PRD followers.

I know, bad joke

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hehe....Actually a pretty good joke......

I did think the 81% a little high but I guess it would depend on where the poll was taken.
Still it is a concern and there were some pretty freaky stories going around when I was there.......

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It all depends what is seen as a satanic cult.
Fire & water are destructive too in great quantities.
Metal is good ;) It saved me from turning to more destructive things when I got divorced.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My 16 month old grandson LOVES heavy metal...!

You should see him go when he hears it!! Almost looks like he's doing the merengue! At least he shouldn't be as "impaired" in the dance dept. as his dad and his Nono are!!
First time I've heard of the "satanic twist" to the music tho'. Guess I never really listened to the vocals just the beat!!! Hmmmmm.....I better go put some on and have a listen!!

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
After seeing a couple of episodes of the Osbournes, I would say the only devil Ozzy really worships is the dollar.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for the joke

[
Still 81% sounds like heck lot of people. Unless by "satanic cults" they mean PRD followers.

I know, bad joke [/B][/QUOTE]

JAJAJA

Apr 26, 2002
Santeria

I love the PRD joke.

By "satanic cults", I believe they mean voodoo, as well as santeria that leans towards the African rather than Catholic side of the spectrum. I doubt too many people are actually praying to Satan [fill in your own Hipolito joke here].

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
MomC.....

Still it is a concern and there were some pretty freaky stories going around when I was there.......

MomC lets hear the freaky stories.

Quit teasing!

What concern?

X

Apr 26, 2002
Why Wait,? Panic Now

Yeah, Momma, let's hear about who sacrificed what chicken within how many yards of which Catholic church. Shocking stuff, I'm sure.

Might I suggest an increased concern over more important and real items of interest, like: government irresponsibility, economic paralysis, power failures, attacks on the middle class, a disasterous education system, violent crime, gangs, balance of payments, currency devaluation, price of platanos, sun burn, athletes foot, acne, motoconcho noise, potholes on the San Isidro highway and monotonous batchata.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
X-man & Porfio......no chickens......that would be voodoo

and I do know the difference between the two!
I heard from "Christian" sources of human crucified on an upside down cross after having been tortured. The girl was a worker at one of their "outreach" areas near Higuey. There was a nice little cover-up of the descreation of the catherdral there also.
Several other stories "surfaced" at the same time but those two are two that were relayed by persons who had been there-seen that, who I have no reason to believe were making up stories.
Needless to say their "outreach" program was put on hold for a while.............

Apr 26, 2002
Sceptical, Very Sceptical

In the US, there are periodic "satanism" scares (usually every decade or so), with lots of titilating "first hand" descriptions from "Christians" of torture, blood letting and death. They ALWAYS turn out to be completely unfounded. On rare occasions, there will be teenaged "satanists", but its really just a rebellion statement and there's no real blood.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well I wasn't there!!
So that's why I said "story". I heard it from a reliable source however I tend to be a little like Jim (you know....from Missouri where ya gotta be there and see and hear it yourself), so that's why I said I'd heard some "freaky" stories while there. There was an article in the paper about the desecration at the catherdral but it got changed from being a satanic cult to being a "voodoo" ceremony in the vicinity. We heard (again from reliable sources) that there were policia involved so the "news" report got changed!
Of course knowing firsthand how corrupt things are in the DR (and not above greasing a few palms to smooth things over ourselves) one could believe almost anything they hear!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
The Aybar Case

What timing. Today we read in DR1 about the Aybar case, where it is alleged that the murderers of the boy were engaged in a satanic cult - with a satantic "temple" on 27th of February Avenue none the less!

But I have another explanation. They raped him out of lust and then killed him so he could not bare witness against them.

Plausible, huh?

Apr 26, 2002
X-Man,

Didn't realize you were a Jew-hater. So's AZB. Maybe, just for fun, you guys can get together and paint swastikas all over Parque Independencia.

Last edited: