double nationality

niki-pooh

Sep 20, 2002
Hi. I'm new around here. I'm getting married with a swedish citizen soon and we'll move together when I get my residency permit. But I'd like to have the swedish nationality as well as keeping my so-proud dominican nationality. Any of you guys knows how i can get the double nationality? Thx a lot :D :D

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you saying that you are now a Dominican citizen and that you would like to also get Swedish citizenship?

niki-pooh

Sep 20, 2002
Ken, I was born here at Dominican Republic, I'm dominican with no other nationality and I'd like to become a swedish citizen without losing my nationality. I think i forgot to say that, sorry:rolleyes: :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Have you checked with the government of Sweden to see if they permit double nationality?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Also, check the archives. Click on "search" at top of this page, then in the "search by keyword box" type dual citizenship. There is a lot of info on this in the archives; some of it should relate to your situation.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You will not lose your Dominican nationality by marrying a Swedish or by acquiring the Swedish nationality (check the archives to find out about the laws and such). In case you are thinking about it, I am positive that you will not acquire the Swedish nationality by just marrying a Swede. However you should seek advice on that elsewhere, I don't think we can help you with Swedish Law stuff.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Marrying a Swedish"?????? A Swedish ..what? Meatball.?
YOu marry a Swede, fer heaven's sake! LOL

HB

niki-pooh

Sep 20, 2002
As far as i know in Sweden dual nationality is permitted as long as the country of origin permits the dual nationality, and i dunno if here that is possible, even tho i know we have agreements with usa and spain. Anyway, after living 5 years in Sweden with my husband i can apply for the swedish citizenship.:squareeye :speechles

Last edited:

niki-pooh

Sep 20, 2002
I'll move with him next month, and i'm marrying in 2 days :D :eek: :cheeky: I just wanted to know some background information about citizenship laws :)

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
dual citizenship

Article 11 (paragraph I and IV) of the Dominican Constitution allows Dominican citizens to obtain a foreign citizenship (nationality) without losing their Dominican citizenship. However, a Dominican with a dual citizenship loses his right to run for presidency or vicepresidency in the Dominican Republic.
You have to consult a Swedish attorney if Sweden allows a dual citizenship.

Julio & Chris