The Dominican Republic makes the CNN streamer!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately not in a good way. The report is on the 28 dead in the riot in the La Vega jail.
Terrible scenes filmed and, of course, broadcast on local cable..

Worst of it is that over 80% of the inmates are not there because of conviction, just because they haven't raised bail, had a bail hearing or for "Investigation"// Terribly sad but all too true.

HB :(

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Methinks the DR needs to start a war on terrorism on the home front!

Riots in the jails....riots over power and the worst thing about it is the "terrorist" are the duly elected president and his "parliament".

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I saw it on Primer Impacto via satelite, who called it *chaos*.

Prison conditions are despicable.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I tried the link and it didn't work. I just copied and pasted, instead.

U.S. Consulate Evacuated
By Associated Press

September 20, 2002, 10:11 PM EDT

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- An envelope filled with white powder prompted the evacuation of the U.S. Consulate Friday, officials said.

The envelope containing a letter and the powder apparently was delivered early Friday. U.S. spokeswoman Nani Martinez declined to release the contents of the letter, saying it was part of an investigation. The powder was sent to a lab for testing.

The U.S. Consulate is in a four-story building in downtown Santo Domingo, three blocks from the U.S. Embassy, which was not evacuated.

An envelope containing a letter signed "Karl Marx" and a packet with white powder was delivered to El Nacional newspaper in Santo Domingo on Thursday, said Domingo del Pilar, the paper's managing editor.

The typed letter threatened biological arms attack as part of a campaign against globalization.

The paper's executives dismissed it as a hoax because the white substance smelled like baby powder.
Copyright ? 2002, The Associated Press

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What next???
Has the whole world gone crazy?????
And now the US is saying it's not enough for Iraq to allow inspectors in....they must disarm completely!! As if that is going to happen!!

Yes indeed "the world has gone crazy"
Inpectors in Iraq will never be given access to the areas where the weapons of mass destrction are being produced. Bush will get a few allies on his side and start his war against Saddam.

Prison riots in the DR ??, Electricity bills rising except in the barrios, when will Hippo stop the insanity. Or will he just borrow some more money thinking that will solve the problems.

I have said it before and will again
<b>You cannot legislate INTELLIGENCE.</b>

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
My condolences to the families of those who lost loved ones in the La Vega jail. Hopefully out of this, a spotlight will shine on the problems of the criminal justice system and an interest will be taken in providing clean and safe conditions for prisoners as well as affording them timely and fair trials.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
riots

Is the whole country in an uprise? or is it just concentrayed on the capital....and just reguarding the electricity? We are jst planning our trip....and I am not one to scare easily, but we like the capital, and if it is going to be somewhat dangerous, well we would just be better off not even going.....btw does anyone know of a good web-site concerning the island of San Andreas?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is no problem at present that would cause you to change your plans.

There may be some strikes in the future, but when they occur the trouble is usually localized in the poor barios of Santo Domingo and Santiago, the cities of San Francisco de Macoris, Nagua, and a few other locations. They generally last no more than a couple of days before a combination of police crackdown and government concessions restore calm.

I have been living in the DR for 16 years and have seen these events before.

Nobody can tell you on what day or days there might be trouble, any more than they can tell you on what days your plans for the beach might be scrapped due to heavy rain.

If you have reservations, then you are all set. Look forward to your visit with your usual anticipation.

Re: riots

doug said:
Is the whole country in an uprise? or is it just concentrayed on the capital....and just reguarding the electricity? We are jst planning our trip....and I am not one to scare easily, but we like the capital, and if it is going to be somewhat dangerous, well we would just be better off not even going.....btw does anyone know of a good web-site concerning the island of San Andreas?
Doug:
San Andres a Colombian island off the coast of Panama, resorts are not really that great, all in the Decameron chain, I dont know what others are there, beaches are good and diving is excellent, but Columbia is not in the greatest political shape either.
Here is a site you can check out.
http://groups.msn.com/BigJuicesSanAndresIsland/islandmaps.msnw

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Hey, Ken....
That's what they said about Cuba b/4 the revolution.

Sometimes enough is enough. I remember some years ago after the LA riots, my boss telling me how for the life of him he could not figure why "those people would burn their own town, houses, businesses etc." Sometimes we forget that when the disenfranchised, lower-class, poverty stricken, under educated, under clothed, under fed feel that they are longer part of society. That the system works against them, that their situation is hopeless, that their needs are not being addressed, that they are the forgotten, taken advantage of, outcasted and their's no way out. The invetiable formula is what some would call a revolution others a riot. In that instance "they" were not, in their eyes, burning down the "their" town 'cause it was never theirs to begin with. In that instance behavioral sciences will teach us that their is something very wrong, out of sync, dysfunctional in society and it needs to be addressed. A passive attitude, in the case of cuba, led to a dictator. A progressive attitude in LA led to social welfare reforms, which only history will tells it's effectiveness.
For DR's sake I hope the latter is the road it takes.
In either case, I will be in DR with the same anticipation and love.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What's with the news?

Jail riots with many deaths are usually big news everywhere. They happen all the time in both industrialized and third world nations. It is not rare to have major riots in prisons like Attica, NY and other parts of the USA.

Most recently, prior to the La Vega riots, a jail uprising in a jail in Venezuela left over 50 dead and burned. What is a miracle is that more deadly riots have not taken place in DR considering the condition of our jails. Our model prison Najayo, the best in the country has an excess of 1000 inmates. La Victoria, our largest even more. During Hurricane George 80 La Victoria prisoners died trying to escape thru the flood waters. They were mostly shot by the guards. Because of the central news of the hurricane, this jail break did not make the international news.

Other riots are not reported. For instance several riots in the minors jail were not reported even though several died.

Dominican news are not prime news elsewhere. For instance, in today's Latin Roundup of the Miami Herald a speech by El Salvador's president on his economic plan was given a headline, while Hipolito's speech was not even considered in the classifieds section if he paid for it.

We are lucky the the street riots going on in our towns and barrios are not getting reported as was four years ago, where hooded rock throwers were highlighted.

TW