residency for stepson

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
I am hoping someone will have some information on a problem I am having. I have been married for 7 years to a Dominican citizen. About 2 years ago I petitioned for his permanent residency, have not seen him since he was granted his residency. He owes the U.S. IRS well over $ 6,000 and quite a few other bills. I do not know where he lives or even if he is in the U.S.. His family does not seem to have much information either. Anyway, he has a son who is 9 years old. I have been with this child for all of his live and he considers me his mother. He has spent time with us in the U.S. before my husbads so called disappearance. The child was in the DR and was not doing well or rather not receiving much attention. He had time left on his visa so I sent for him to come stay with me. His visa expired in June and his I-94 gave him until December 2 to stay in this country. My question is can I petition for residency for him or will the fact I do not know where his father is nor does his father support him in anyway. I do. Will I have to have his father involved in this or can I do this alone? He is such a good boy and it would hurt me to have to send him back to the DR. He is in school here and is doing really well. My in-laws are the ones who take care of him in the DR and his biological mother has signed a paper in the DR giving me permission to have him and it has different stamps from the DR government and the U.S. embassy. If anyone has information or even an opinion I would appreciate it. I am waiting to see if I can do something for the child before I file for divorce.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOTE TO SELF: SAVE THIS POST OFR FURTHER USE!!

Sorry but I don't think you can swing it.
HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The attorney, Fabio Guzman, who normally answers questions in the legal section is on vacation. Supposedly another attorney in his office will fill in, but I haven't yet seen any postings.

I think you should talk with an attorney where you live to see what he thinks. I presume you have an attorney in mind to assist with the divorce; perhaps he/she can advise you on this.

Hillybilly's note to himself won't mean anything to you, but what he is thinking of doing is sharing you message with the Canadian, American and European girls who frequently post messages looking for agreement that they are indeed lucky to have found a Dominican boyfriend. When they don't get it from those of us who live in the DR, they get very upset. Your message may give one or two a dose of much needed realism.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It would seem to me that you should be seeking

the advice of an attorney in the US (that is where both you and the boy are isn't it). One who specializes in immigration cases.....
I should hope that a child who has been abandoned by his biological father and not wanted by his biological mother would be rather easily adopted by the fathers' current spouse especially if the child is living with and being supported by her!

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
stepson

I want to thank those of you who have replied. The reason I am curious about the DR legal side is because if there is something I can do there to make the process go alot faster. He does not have alot of time before his I-94 runs out and I still have to come up with the money to start his paperwork. As you can problably tell I am not getting any help from his father. I guess I am also curious to find out if I am still responsible for my husbands residency or in other words the support petition I signed, is it still in effect even if I do not know his whereabouts? I am glad to hear Mr. Hillbilly will share this with other woman who think life is paradise with some of these men. I know all are not the same,but it seems residency does something to them. Just to mention, my husband use to play pro ball so I guess I thought he held himself alittle different. WRONG!!! It is just sad I am the only one who cares about this boy. Thankfully my family loves him just like their own grandson by blood. I am still hopeful I can do this. Thank you again for your input. Sometimes hearing other peoples opinions helps alot.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hope I'm not the bearer of bad news.....

but if you signed a legal agreement with the US gov't for support of your husband you will be on the hook if the gov't decides to collect (i.e.-the money owing for taxes??).
I don't think there is much you can do in the DR until you first straighten out the I-94.....that's why a lawyer specializing in immigration law would be your best bet at this point.
Too bad "Not Registered" aka Janice wouldn't stick her nose in this thread and give you some advise. As a lawyer working in the US - I believe she mentioned sports figures on one of the threads- she would be of more help than I. I have only limited knowledge of US law and just a bit on immigration based on the trials my son went through (both before and after his marriage) to get his permanent residency.
Hopefully she'll pipe in with an idea of what your next move should be from the US side of things.

N

Not registered

MOM, if you would make the connection

Between M&A's and representing "sports figures" with the problem of a Visa fraud issue, I will be happy to provide "non professional" advice. Immigration Law and I are not friends

I'm very supirsed that none of your family or friends have been involved with or have knowledge of a similar situation?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well NR......

She mentioned that the missing husband aka father of her stepson was a pro- ball player and I recalled something about your fathers' firm representing sports players so thought you may be able to find out if there are pro registers or something that might help her track him down if she needs to for paperwork....
I know you do M&A's not immigration law but as a student of American law you should be able to give her an idea of what her first step should be if not as I have suggested which is to contact an immigration lawyer.
If you cannot help her I will contact my nephew who is a corporate lawyer for Seaforth and something or other in New York and ask him! I just thought since you frequent this board you might like to assist another poster........

Editted to add.......She is an American citizen who got taken by a Dominican so he could get his residency.....It is HIS son who lives with her that she is trying to help as she has helped raise the young boy! So I don't think it has anything to do with Visa fraud...she just wants to become the boy's legal guardian since he has been abandoned by the father. However the child is in the US on a visa that will soon expire.

Last edited:
N

Not registered

I would assist if I was clear on the issues, no responsible attorney dispenses "if what maybes"

I didn't see the part about a pro ball player, if that is so, he would be very easy to locate if still in the US and yes, I would be glad to help

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So lasvegas if you're reading this hit the PM button at the bottom of Not Registered 's post and the two of you can converse privately......

See NR...I'm not ALL bad!!

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
Just one word of advise. Fill a petition for legal guardianship for that kid since you are his "de facto" guardian. It is easy to do and it is where to start.

Goodluck

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
I want to thank all of you again for your replies. It is very kind of you. I have just found out that my husband is in the DR. He arrived ther Monday and is living in the capital with a woman. He has an apartment in the capital with her and their child. That is about all the information I could gather from different people. Noone is really going to help me there. I am thinking maybe I should just go to immigration and explain the whole story. I do not want this to effect the boy but I can no longer be responsible for my husbands problems. I do not know where he lives in the capital nor do I have a phone number. Is it possible to have someone's residency voided??? He comes here to the U.S. runs up bills and then I have to pay them. The IRS has been trying to find him but they only find me and threaten me. If I have to get a second job that is ok. I will work 2 jobs to pay off his debts, I just do not want anymore. I know divorce is ther answer but with my name on his residency as his sponsor even if we are divorced I will still be responsible. I am at the end of my rope so to speak. But this man is pure evil. Again thanks for your replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
lasvegas, have you spoken with a knowledgeable attorney in the US about your problems? There must be something that can be done to help you--both with his debts as well as with your obligation as his sponsor. You are in a mess and it will cost you to get out of it, but better to work a second job to buy relief than to support a two-timer and a dead-beat.

With respect to the boy, it is great that you want to be of help to him, but it sounds like you must choose between the boy and getting your life back on track. Particularly since the boy isn't your son or responsibility, I really believe you should think of yourself.