AZB's rich Dominicans

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"I think you live in the the DR because 17 and 18 year girls in the USA wouldn't give you the time of the day, if you know what I mean." Bob Saunder

You are correct, not even the 25 yrs old girls would give anyone the time of the day, that includes you too.
In anycase, its not important to me, i never liked the gringas anyway. To me, the latinas (dominicanas) are the true beauties (from inside out). They are truly feminine and proud of their sexuality, unlike rude american girls who are considered a pain in the arse even by their own men.
Enough said about that.

Now about dominicans wanting to live in usa?
Let me tell you this: Most dominicans who have good jobs and make decent money in DR would not imagine living in USA. Only the poor dominicans who lack education and are not part of the upscale society would rather migrate to anywhere.
The problem is that you people only visit resorts and only come in contact with the poor dominicans. The upper middle class to rich dominicans are invisible to you all. They not only avoid poor dominicans but also prefer not to mingle with the visiting foreigners.
There are places in santiago (alone) where most americans can't afford to buy a drink. Dominicans frequent those places on daily bases. Those same dominicans travel to USA and europe as though they are going to santo domingo for a dinner at someone's house.
The amount of money well-to-do dominicans spend on daily bases (even if converted to dollars) is out of most american working class - middle class budget. The amount of money I spend on BS stuff (drinks - food) on daily bases is not afforded by many middle class americans.
believe me, dominicans are not all poor and the rich are not few. it all depends on where you look and live.
If you want to see where the rich dominicans spend their money, come to Tribecca cafe and count the number of BMWs and late model mercedes you would see double parked on the street. A new bar in santiago called "epenema" is also a good example for that.
So again, it all boils down to this: most well-to-do dominicans live like kings in DR and would never imagine living anywhere else. They actually laugh at the gringos working hard like mules just to make ends meet. We were just discussing that last night over a few drinks and young girls (4) oh, and laughters. Viva dominicana

P.S. Porfio, are you dominican?
Bob saunder, we might have different opinions on many issues but i have nothing against you as a person. In my books you are all right, just like jazzyboy.

Mannheim

Sep 16, 2002
AZB

You pick and choose isolated people to try and make a representation of real life (the "rich" Dominicans of Santiago)

Take the rich Dominicans of Santiago and see if they can afford lunch in Newport RI, South Hampton NY, South Miami Beach Fl., West Palm Beach Fl, Del Ray Beach Fl., etc. When you look at the societies as a whole it is far different

Take just Greenwich Ct where the AVERAGE home is 3/4 of a million dollars, and I refer to the avg 3 bedroom home. Go to Hollywood Ca. where they would likely not even be allowed to look at homes, or to Indian Island Florida where homes start at 3 million USD. If you want to pick segmenst of Rich society, delve into the REAL money of the US (Where people like Sanford Whyle (sp) make 70 plus million per year, or nerds like Bill Gates could likley buy the Dominican Republic for his Island Hideaway

He "Rented" A Hawaiian island" and over 75 helicopters to guarantee privacy when he was married.

I realize there are many rich Dominicans, but don't even think of tring to compare them to the real rich Americans. Maybe Jack Welch was given 50% of Casa de Campo as part of his retirement package, he was given many more perks that cost more

KM

KM

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My friend, I don't think you have been to ceros de gurabo. These houses are not even seen in most rich neighborhoods of many american cities.
When i talk about rich dominicans, I am not talking about the super rich celebraties like in beverly hills. These dominicans are your average people who only move within their own society.
Believe me, these dominican spend money that your average middle - upper class american can't afford on regular bases.
Like americans, these dominicans don't count pennies (like i see in the self proclaimed rich americans). They come in to a dance club and order an expensive bottle of wiskey or wine right away. Often the night is spend sipping away 6-7 bottles over laughters and music.
Most of my friends, when we go out on regular dinners (with my selected few friends) we spend about 2-3 thousand pesos among 3 -4 people. Now thats just an average dinner in a regular type restaurant. Whats funny is that we are not even considered rich people. Now tell me, how many average class americans you know who can dish out money like this on regular bases? I can show you people like them, spending money on almost daily bases.
When I take a girl out for dinner and dance, minimum I spend is 1000 pesos for 2-3 hours of entertainment at a local disco / bar.
Mind you, i take girls out all the time. Now tell me, how many people you know who can dish out money like this on something so unnessessary?
You see, i am not talking about the Bermudez or the capellan family, I am talking about your average well-to- do dominicans.
If you talk about the rich rich upper class dominicans, believe me, they are no less than the people you have described above. They have their own private jets and huge luxurious boats. These people live in mansions that you haven't even seen on TV yet.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Exactly when the thread becomes interesting to a few people PIB simply spoils it all. I mean, was anyone complaining becasue the thread got off course? We have hillbilly also as a moderator but i have never seen him spoil the fun for anyone. This proves my point right: you give women some power and they make sure to abuse it to the fullest extent.
I never had problems with male ticket agents at the airport, its always the old or a hot shot young girl who enforces all the rules by the book on people.
I mean, PIB, why don't you lighten up and enjoy your saturday morning for a change instead of acting like a mother to everyone. We are not as straight sighted as you, except the horses. Some of us would like to have some entertainment for a change.
Now that you have moved my post, it doesn't make any sense to a person who is reading it from this point. They don't know where my arguments are coming from.
Thanks alot for acting like the police woman of the debate section. Just sickening.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Excuse me AZB but I think you're deluding yourself a bit......

As a middle class Canadian (and believe me a middle class American has far greater resources than I) my idea of a nice dinner out in the DR. is to go to someplace like Vesuvio, or the Morrocan Restaurant (can't remember the name offhand) or La Bricciola or Sully's etc where we will spend 3-4000 pesos for 2 ....then off to a movie, then to Cafe Atlantico or maybe Guacara Taino so before the night is over we've easily spent 10-15000 pesos.
Even a weekday dinner out at Deli Swiss or El Sueno in Juan Dolio will run to 3000 pesos easily.

I spend roughly 25-30,000 pesos a month in the DR when I'm there and that is if I DON'T have visitors that we're taking around.

The rich Dominicans I know (and yes I do know a few) are all multi-millionaires (in US$$$ not pesos) and I wouldn't begin to follow in their shoes......
Last time we had a golf date with one of them before the day and evening was over we'd spent 45,000 pesos (whew-wouldn't want to do that too often!!!! I'll know better next time!!)

So I think you're "vision" of a rich Dominican needs a bit of re-thinking!! Seems more like you're describing an "upper middle class" Dominican night out!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MommC, I was describing dominicans who are in contrast to the resort workers who make 3k pesos a month. Yes, its true, the rich dominicans are like what you have described above. When i said we spend 2-3 k pesos on a dinner, its not a classy place but a regular restaurant. Of course, be prepared to dish out more if you walk into maroma and other restaurant alike.
Mind you, i never said I am rich, just a drop in the bucket. My rich friends (average rich people) spend 5-10 k pesos on a nice dinner of 4-5 persons on regular bases. These guys never give it a second thought in going out to a restaurant to sip drinks and eat expensive imported meat which cost a fortune in some places.
Another detail: santiago is far cheaper than Bavaro, where you live. What cost here can cost twice as much in bavaro. Our money buys more in santiago even if compared to sosua and puerto plata.

Last edited:

Mannheim

Sep 16, 2002
AZB

If you consider spending 5-10 K pesos (about 3-600 US dollars) split amongst 3-4 people "extravagabt," you have no concept of what real wealth is. many people in upper class Us reataraunts tip the Matri'd , wine stewrad and waiter far more than that.

I realize you live in a closed World, so it is very hard for you to understand the richness and excessive spending of "real money" While I am sure there are a few wealthy Dominicans in your City, don't try to compare them to real wealth.

As I previously said; there are people who likely could buy your country (They already own your President) and not lose sleep over the cost. What you spend on one of your "lavish" nights out, these people tip their drivers.

Don't forget, some of your "rich and famous celebrities" like Sosa are merely emplyees of rich Americans.
KM

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Pib said:
I know all too well how much sense your posts always make.
:rolleyes:
Pib,
To some of us who only get to visit the DR a few times per year and dont get true insight to what life is really like there,AZB's posts among others are very informative.We realize that a lot of what is relayed to us is pure opinion but we come away from these posts with more information on our harddrives than we had prior to reading them..Let AZB post and let the thread develop into what it may.You are becoming too involved here.You dont have to put your two cents into every topic.Take a page out of Hillbillys book.
ILoveDR
PS--This is purely constructive criticism and not an attack on you Pib.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Thank you for the "constructive criticism". I don't think I said anywhere that AZB cannot voice his informed, and informative opinions. I think that's what's his doing here.

And about adding my two cents, I always try to not post fluff on stuff I have no idea of, so I think "every topic" is a mile from real. And I also have the right to respond to attacks, don't I?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Ilovedr for your input. I am sure many people think the same way as you do.
Note: this is not an attack at the americans or canadians way of living. Its just i like to make my point clear that not all dominicans work in resorts and not all dominican girls are easy sex targets.
This a a country, just like any other country where you have people of all sorts: color, race and from all different economical scale.

mannhaiem, you totally missed out my point.
Anyway, go back to serving tables of your rich and famous.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
AZB, I may have to agree with you about something. When you said average wealthy Dominicans stay put, and usually only the poorer Dominicans migrate to the US for a "better" wage or lifestyle, I think you are right. If someone is comfortable in their own country with maids, cars, drivers, etc why move to another country where the culture is completely different?

Last year I had speakers come to my class from Cuba, Ecuador, Bolivia, El Salvador, Peru, Puerto Rico, Panama and Colombia. They all said the same thing: they came to the US because they wanted a better wage or life free from dicators and persecution. One lady from Panama said no one who has money migrates to the US because they have a nice fat lifestyle where they are at. The lady from El Salvador told my wide-eyed rich suburban kids she had crawled across a desert in Mexico and then was on the run for 3 days to come to the US 12 years ago. She applied herself when she got here and now owns her own cleaning company and speaks great English. The man from Cuba served in the Navy, and also owns his own business. The lady from Panama has her master's degree in computer science. The lady from Puerto Rico works for the feds as an accountant.
Now not everyone comes to the US and does what these people do, but they have embraced what the US had to offer and have become quite Americanized.

On the other hand, we have several employees where I work from El Salvador and Bolivia who still speak Spanish all the time, they travel home (to their countries) in used cars, and sell them there and then fly back here, they send checks to families of 5, 6, 8, 10 kids back home. They haven't learned a lot of English, haven't improved education or job skills for better opportunities, and seem happy to live in in crowded apartments making 7-8 dollars an hour. BUT THIS IS BETTER to them.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's all relative isn't it??
To what an individual wants out of life and what he is willing to do to get it!
Some are content with only a little better than what they have. Some take the "easy " way out and turn to crime. Some "better" themselves through education and hard work.
I met a truck driver in a rest stop in Tennessee a couple years ago who was from Puerto Rico. He spends 4-6 months in the states every year or so to take home money for his wife and family. When funds start running low he returns to the states and gets a job driving a truck. His English was poor - just enough to get by with- but this was the lifestyle he was happy to lead!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Pib said:
Thank you for the "constructive criticism". I don't think I said anywhere that AZB cannot voice his informed, and informative opinions. I think that's what's his doing here.

And about adding my two cents, I always try to not post fluff on stuff I have no idea of, so I think "every topic" is a mile from real. And I also have the right to respond to attacks, don't I?
Of course you have the right to respond to personal attacks and my use of the term "every topic" was an exaggeration.However..it is apparent to me that when you are in disagreement with someone you are quick to "flex your DR1 muscles" and take a condecending tone toward them.In your role on here as a moderator it is necessary to remove yourself from some of the squabbling that goes on here and take a more professional approach to your posts devoid of opinion.In other words..try to refrain from making comments like "I know how much sense your posts usually make"--or whatever you said in response to AZB's post.Unfortunately for you Pib..i feel that you taking on the role of moderator and subsequently becoming a part as we see it of DR1 administration,you lose the luxury of squabbling and making snide remarks that the rest of us continue to enjoy.
ILoveDR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ILoveDR said:
In other words..try to refrain from making comments like "I know how much sense your posts usually make"--or whatever you said in response to AZB's post.Unfortunately for you Pib..i feel that you taking on the role of moderator and subsequently becoming a part as we see it of DR1 administration,you lose the luxury of squabbling and making snide remarks that the rest of us continue to enjoy.
ILoveDR

Pib is not a moderator of this section. Only of "debates". She exercised her moderator power when she created this new thread--which I for one think made sense since this is a very different topic than the other--but anything else with respect to this thread is out of her control. With that in mind, seems to me she is as free as anyone else to engage in the verbal donnybrooks that often occur in this section

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bottom line, don't mess with our moderators. It's a thankless task and a job that many of you wouldn't want.

If you have a problem with a moderator, email or PM them. Do not post smart comments on the board, it doesn't do you any good, trust me...

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mannheim

What do you define as wealthy people? Or perhaps super-rich? Do you have some guidelines in mind? Are you only considering the Fortune top 100 most wealthy people or something else.?

The reason I say this is because there are filthy rich people in every country in the world and in many it is a considerable group. Will owing an airplane qualify? Will owning more than one Ferrari, will owning mansions in several countries qualify?

Is Sammy Sosa in that group? Is Oscar De La Renta? Is Juan Luis Guerra? What about Ramon Baez Figueroa? Do you think owning Cerveza Presidente qualifies? Does owning three Lamborghinis qualifies?

I mean, let's be serious. There are people in this country that can match dollar for dollar with many of the super-rich in the world, but far better, their quality of life is perhaps superior because of their sphere of influence in their enviroment.

Naturally, no Dominican compares to a Bill Gates or a Sam Walton or some of the big Arabs sheiks. But how many do? Did you just notice how a Santiago family easily dished out $US1,500,000 for a kidnapping rescue? Just their home alone is worth 5 times that, not to mention the vehicles in that home.

There are homes in the Gurabo area of Santiago selling for over US$2,000,000. However, the most expensive homes, which are not for sale far exceed the US$4,000,000 mark. I believe with that kind of money you can buy a mansion anywhere in the world. There are Dominicans who own condos in the most expensive areas of Collins Avenue. Dominicans blow money everyday on South Beach and Beverly Hills. Dominicans are shopping for apartments at Trump's new condo in Miami. They own apartments at One Magnificent Mile and Trump Tower in N.Y. Several own townhomes in the Madison Avenue area, Astor Place,and other areas. I know a few who own homes in New Canaan, Conn.

Frank Pimentel for instance, has his son picked up from school field trips in a helicopter. I know several Dominicans who own private jets and heliports. Those who own mansions at Casa De Campo also own in Miami Beach and Europe. Do you think owning a resort hotel chain qualifies for your meter? How about owning a brewery? Is that to you just upper middle class? How about owning the Lama chain of superstores? Do you think being the Chairman of the Board of Banco BHD, Inmobiliaria BHD, Coral Resorts, Cerinca and several other companies qualifies?

Please, let me know what standard are you using, how much money and power?

TW