Santiago to Puerta Plata Highlands...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Does anyone here know of any expats that live up in the mountains on the road between Puerta Plata and Santiago? That is the mountain road that drops you down between Puerta Plata and Sosua. I am curious to know what their experience is living in that area, how the electricity is, and any other problems encountered.

I would also be interested in knowing any others who would be interested in living in the highlands versus living on the water. For me, it is just to hot to live down there...especially when you lose electricity. But then I don't live down there...so what do I know. Still Learning.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Snuffy,
You don't have to live that high to take advantage of the cooling sea breezs - Cofresi Heights, Torre Alta, or even Star Hills will give you very pleasant breezes. Come in a few days when Lily is passing by & you will find out how invigorating a 'strong' breeze can be!!! I was in the centre of town for 'George' was passing by a couple of mountain rangaes away, and didn't need the airconditioning the whole time it was going through!!!!!

Seriously, re the mountain area electricity situation - they have got power cables up there now, but you will STILL need a generator &/or 12 battery inverter! my understanding from locals is that power outages are at least 8 hours a day, even now!! Before the recent "Awards" to EdeNorte, they were 12 - 18 hours a day. I don't know of any Ex-Pats that live up that way though, so can't advise on their experiences.
Greetings & Salutations - Grahame.

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Grahame:

Cofresi Heights, Torre Alta, or even Star Hills

where exactly are these places?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Those are on the POP side of the mountains, Snuffy.
You seem to be interested on the Santiago side.

There are some ex-pats in the hills of Camp David. Very wealthy folks that have build a really beautiful house. Not American...

there are some people that have weekend houses up to the left of that road in a place called Juan Vera. It is cool there.

None of these places have lights. You are much better off in the area around Santiago, maybe in the campo of Jacagua, surrounded by big trees. No electricity, but the trees provide a breeze.

In those hills everything is difficult, water, lights and phone, TV and so forth.

you have to get used to the heat. Soon you will notice that Santiago is SO much cooler than Santo Domingo and POP (It's the humidity but don't tell anyone)

Anyway, why leave Guatemala for Guatepeor???

HB

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly is right about Santiago. If you stay close to the middle of the mountain pass, there are few expats. Some Santiageros have mountain homes in various places, but you have to start getting close to Santiago before you see and subdivision type places. I worked for solar energy company that provides quite a bit of service in the area. All the areas near the road have power, but the wiring and transformers are not up to code. They are probably one of the first to get cut off. They weren't even charging people for the electricity a year after it was installed.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Snuffy

That is my idea of living in the DR! Just R & R ...
Not interested in the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities for I have that here in the states.
When I can afford it someday I will buy a small house or cabana up in the mountains on the way to Pto Plata (en la loma) away from it all.
My husband and I saw a little place there alongside the road last year at a very affordable price and we fell in love with it.
You could see the ocean (though still quite far away).
There were no stores or crowds just views of beautiful palm trees on rolling hills. You could see some horses and cows at the botton of the canyon.
We want to sit on our porch and gaze at the stars, listen to natures creatures in the moonlight.
Thats my idea of a tropical paradise.

BTW has anyone been to a restaurant that is on the way from Moca to Pto Plata. I cant think of the name. It is on the side of the road (right side)? It has great views of the mountainside and at night you can see the city lights in Stgo.

Ccarabella

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
That sounds like a very nice place. Which road are you talking about.......La Loma. Is that the road that takes you through the tunnel? Or the one that places you down close to the airport?

I would think that up high...you don't need electricity for air conditioning. You need it for lights, fans maybe, tv, hmmm...I would want internet access.......is that available up there.

I think it would be very wise to live in close proximity to other expats for security purposes. Would like to know of any small communities higher up in the hills than Santiago.

Santiago is great...except in the mid summer when it gets very hot.

Thanks

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Don't know the name of the road. Does anyone know?. It's on the way to Pto Plata from Santiago.

"la loma" means the mountaintop or hill.

Don't know much about electricity there except that in the DR it is scarce. I'm sure there are places in the "loma" with electricity.

I hope that some of the expats residing in the nortch coast can shed some light on the subject for you.

Good luck

Ccarabella

Fulano

Jan 31, 2002
Ccarabella, I think the restaurant that

you are talking about is on the Jamao del Norte-Moca mountain road, located as you begin your descent into the Cibao valley. It is named Caffeto (sp?) and is a popular spot for a romantic dinners with its spectacular view and cool breezes ( bring a sweater if you care to sit on the balcony in the evening!). I have eaten there several times and it has always been a pleasure. Be sure to try Camp David Ranch on the Gurabo/Santiago overlook for another special place.