Monte Plata

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I recently read a post that referenced the Monte Plata region.
I got me wondering about the area. I have never been there.
Are there any "Hi-Lites" to visit? Any places to avoid?
As always thank you all for your import.

Moca

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Avoid Monte Plata!!.....

There is not much there. It was founded in 1603 as a result of Gov. Osorio's need to abandon the North Shore to the pirates and contrabandits...It's original inhabitants came from MONTE cristi and puerto PLATA = MONTE PLATA....

Why not go there and tell us what you find??

HB :)

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I once went through Monte Plata on a bike trip from hell,thts another story,this was about 6 years ago and unless something changed there is nothing you will not find in any rural dominican town,i know me and my buddy were looked at like aliens and i was under the impresion the only bikes this town had seen before were conchos and dts

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Maybe they were looking at you like aliens because of your attitude. En todo sitio hay algo que hacer y buenas gentes que conocer. Eso si, tienes que tener la mente habierta, y no prejuzgar a nadie ni nada. Dominican rural towns may not offer much, however, do tell what did you have offer it.

Lina
tired and sick today.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
lina, you must have been dizzy when you wrote that. I shudder to think what sort of a response jazzcom is going to make to your offer.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Lina
Just for you since you took my post the wrong way,i did not denigrate Monte Plata in any way,just meant to state that not much to do there and not many gringos on big bikes have been through there,as to my attitude there was no problems we sat in alittle bar had beers,got dirrections t where we were going,my reference to loking like aliens was only a referen ce to the stares we got when we pulled into town,in fact a moto concho took us to the dry river bed/road to show us how to get across the mountais to Hato Mayor,antes de hablar tiennes a leer su propria commentarias,yo tengo mas de 15 anos aqui en este pays y nunca hay tenido problemas con Dominicanas.Scotty,thanks for the shoulders but Johnnys not shy either

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I'm glad I started this little thread. Johhny I think I would
probably be just passing through, much as you did. I also
got more from your last post. I haven't been to Hato Mayor
either, and didn't know it was "easy" to get there from
Monte Plata.

MOCA

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
JOHNNY HONDA said:
I was under the impresion the only bikes this town had seen before were conchos and dts

Did I take this out of context? Could have been my medication. However, I though this phrase was not necessary. I am not attacking you just the way this was phrased. "That is all I have to say about that"

Ken, do not start trouble. Jazzy knows what I ment.:tired:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Trina
it is not easy to get from Monte Plata to Hato Major,the road over the mountains when i went through was a very narrow rocky dry riverbed,there were trucks doing gua gua transport,it was something of an experience on a bike that i had never done before and dont care to repeat,i was glad to get to my dastination with the bike intact