AA Schedule Changes

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
With the new schedule changes, our flight to POP has become very complicated. Almost all of the flights have been cancelled that we were scheduled to take. We were offered a refund, but at this late date, we would have had to pay out the nose to reschedule with another airline.

We have rerouted our flight, but we were told that it likely will be changed between now and then. We had to give a phone # in POP in case they change it again. Our flight includes a change of airports in New York which requires collecting and rechecking luggage. What a pain!

If you are flying AA in the near future, I would wait until they get this mess straightened out before scheduling.

BTW, Jazzcom, flights out of JFK do not seem to have been changed.

Mainer

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Freight alone will secure the JFK and MIA routes

I flew on a 80 of 259 pax A300 MIA to SDQ that was delayed ( at one point they thought they'd fly everyone MIA-JFK then take the JFK- SDQ plane - luckily they did not do that) - when I asked the steward why not just get an MD-80 out of storage for 80 Pax, they said it isn't the passenegers it's the freight - that's why they have to send the A300 even empty (of people, not objects) it makes money.

So I doubt they will curtail the JFK/MIA A 300's or the schedules ever let alone soon.

What airports were you flying from originally?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Rick,
We were flying from Portland, Maine.

We were offered a flight from Boston that was so early, we would have needed to stay overnight in Boston.

The parking garage at Logan was closed post 9/11, and it is a horror of a place to fly from. Construction going on all the time, baggage claim two terminals over from where you landed, etc. etc. Also, American would not reimburse us the extra money that we paid to fly out of Portland in the first place.

We thought about flying to Puerto Rico and taking a yola (?) to the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you can get easily to Puerto Rico

AA has 7 flights a day from SJU to SDQ, as many as JFK and MIA combined.

I checked the desktop scheduler and you are right - AA has to have you connect LGA/JFK which I have had to do once and would never do again and that is without checked baggage.

The other option would be to try to build a flight Portland to Boston, to Miami then Miami to SDQ. However i now see that non arrive in MIA in time to go on the one MIA POP flight they ahve each day at 11:20.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
LGA - JFK connection

ricktoronto said:
- AA has to have you connect LGA/JFK which I have had to do once and would never do again and that is without checked baggage.

I just booked a flight for December where I'll have to go from LGA to JFK or vice versa (can't remember). Is is that bad? I will have checked luggage with me (hopefully, three or four cases of Presidente). Do you know about how much is cab fare from one airport to the other? I have about 6 hours in between flights. Thanks
st louis mike
68 days and counting

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
St Louis Mike,
"They" told me it would be 3 bucks for a shuttle from one airport to the next. But.... I have to collect bags and recheck them.

This is with 4 large suitcases and two kids who will have been up since 130 am. Yeah, it's bad.

Rick,
Just kidding about puerto rico. No flights connect from portland to boston or portland miami in time to catch the flight. (on rereading, I see that you said that)

Next time will try my luck with Pan Am

abe

Jan 2, 2002
LaGuardia to JFK connection

I have done this--the shuttle is pretty efficient, but I think it's $11 US. Yes, I agree that dragging baggage is not easy, and dragging kids even harder, but it is not impossible.

I have done this twice with a lot of suitcases and no kids. The bus drivers can skirt some of the worst traffic, but you still don't want to leave yourselves less than two hours to do all this. The check in process in JFK, unless you have an AA Gold or Platinum card to avoid the line, is brutal. You may be going the other way though.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Continental?

Mainer, have you checked with Continental. The Orbitz website has a flight from Portland to Newark to Puerto Plata. The Portland leg is via Continental's partner airline, whoever that may be. If, you can't do it this trip, it may be worthwhile to look into for your next. Regards, PJT

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have two flights schedualed from JFK to POP and have not gotten email about any changes. I think that you will be better off taking a cab or arranging a Limo or private car for between airports than the airport shuttle. It only takes me about 20 minutes to get from LGA to JFK without traffic and up to 1.5 hours with traffic. Stay out of rush hour in the afternoon when going from LGA to JFK and Stay out of Morning rush hour from JFK to LGA.

Email me if you have other questions or ask here and I will try to check in and answer. I have a friend who can probably arrange a limo for you. Email Mark at eatahero@aol.com and ask him about cost.

Good luck.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, thanks everybody for the good info.
Looks like I'll be flying from Santiago to JFK, arriving at about 8:30 PM and then leaving out of LGA at 6:00 AM or so the next morning. Anybody know a good place to catch a little nap at LaGuardia? I'm not spending for a hotel that I'm gonna spend 4-5 hours in. I'm too cheap.
BTW, it looks like the AA schedule has changed quite a bit from when I booked the flight a month ago. In fact, the flights I booked look like they no longer exist. Guess I better get on the phone and see what's up. Thanks again,

St Louis Mike
now 64 days and counting

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Okay,
Here is some accurate information.

The cab fare from JFK to LGA is 19-22 bucks depending on traffic. It cost us 25 with the tip. The airport shuttle is 11 per person.

It took us about a half hour each way. LGA to JFK in the morning and JFK to LGA in the afternoon.

A cab can only fit three large suitcases in the trunk. But, they will put one in the front seat and put 2 adults and 2 kiddos in the back seat without too much discomfort.

We didnt look into the Limo

The kids were excited to take a cab in New York.

Mainer