Dominican Baseball players may be in for surprise

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
With the final days of the MLB season coming to an end there seems to be a major scramble to find alternate candidates to replace the many Dominicans who are threatening American players with running away with the major awards.

For instance, baseball writers are looking for the most minimal thing to take away the Cy Young award from Pedro Martinez and give it to an inferior Barry Zito. Zito is an excellent pitcher and has done an excellent job this year, but he is not in Martinez's league. At least not yet. Just review the stats, and Zito is nowhere near. In fact, Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling, in a different league are not in Martinez's league themselves. Martinez is ahead of the twin-Arizona terrors in almost every power category, and if one considers the fact that Pedro faces designated hitters and not pitchers, the obvious result would have been Pedro exceeding Johnson in strikeouts with over 300. Johnson has faced in his 34 games at least 120 opportunities to face hapless automatic strikeout victims like pitchers and pinch-hitters.

Kansas City will try to do everything in its power to figure out a way to tumble Manny Ramirez from the batting championship. All kinds of shennanigans are possible. The American League MVP is now a subject of intrigue. They're trying to find an alternative to Miguel Tejada and Soriano and their candidate is Alex Rodriguez. Since they cannot find white-blooded Americans they want to use J-rod because he was born in the US. But J-Rod is as Dominican as it gets. He even claims to be a pure bred Dominican and will play for our national team in the Olympics.

They have already tried to frustrate Sammy Sosa so that people like Lance Berkman and Shawn Green can catch up, to no avail. Sammy, as bad as he is doing this year just won't let them. He will win the HR crown and is an almost shoo-in to run away with the runs score title in addition. Berkman and Green are not in Sammy's league. Only Barry Bonds' inflated and steroid body has a chance, but he will have a hard time catching Sammy.

Of course, with Dominicans dominating every facet of offense, power and hitting, who can blame Americans for trying to hijack the awards?

TW

N

Not registered

Golo

What do you base this on? When Pedro won his Cy's, Sammy won his MVP's, which "white blooded Americans" (most Americans I have met are as red blooded as their Dominican bretheren) were cheated?

Schilling and R Johnson are National League and one of them will likely win the Cy Young, Derek Lowe, Pedro's team mate may well win the American Cy, durability and not spending time on the disabled or IR list mean quite a bit

Your post serves no purpose other than an attmept to cause race relation problems, shame on you.

Maybe because Sosa is having a sub par year and Bonds will gain notice you are upset?

Janice

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Pedro is good but he's no MVP this season.
MVP to me is a player who singled handly carries his team to the post season. Pedro for example, with the season on line, facing the Yankees in September and in the Bronx, decides not to pitch due to another ailment.
We woke up the Bambino for him and he got sick.He is definitely no MVP. Not, this season anywary.If I had to chose between Derek Lowe and pedro. Derek would get my vote.
Without a doubt you've got to look at Soriano. Look at what he's done this season. Aside for 3 games, he's done it all at the leadoff spot. Even more amazing, He's done it batting in front of jeter who's having an off season. Which makes what soriano has done all that amazing. I doubt very much the Yankees would've won 100+games, with Boston cleaning out their locker rooms in early september, if it wasn't for him.

Point to Ponder: Why do they call the Yankees vs. Boston a rivalry?
Do you call the hammer vs the nail a rivalry.
C'mon, check the stats.
Yankees 100 seasons in MLB, 36 AL championships, 24 World Championships.
Boston 1918!

As for as golo insinuation that MLB is playing a race game here, it's way out of line.
I'm dominican, born and raised in NYC, I love the game of baseball too much to expose it such shannigans.

BTW: What's up with Sammy. With all the money he makes and the many years in the US you'd think he learn the english language well enough so he doesn't sound like a third grader with english as his second language. It's embarassing at times. Look at pedro, he's learned the language. And when he speaks he's understood. Although he was born in the US, ditto for A-Rod.
Unlike the majority of the members here in DR1. Many in the US have only been exposed to Dominicans through baseball players and their perceptions of Dominicans are, more times than not, pretty negative. When I speak here in the states, the avg Joe/Jane assumes I'm Puerto Rican 'cause of their misconceptions about Dominicans. But, Sammy being a Multi-Millionaire. Having spent the better part of 2 decades here in the states, he should be better spoken.
Disgusting!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Jdiaz...
You might be "born and raised" in NYC...which makes you "un americano" not "dominicano"...you have to be born in Dominican Republic to be considered as such...but you are definetely and above all else...A YANKESS FAN... which is another thing altogether...

The fact that you don't consider Pedro worthy of a Cy Young is just because you HATE Boston...No single player can carry his team all the way through to the post-season...He's done a lot, especially after coming back from his injuries last season...

And even though I don't agree with you on that...I DO AGREE WITH YOU on your statement about Sammy...It's a shame that these people only think about playing the game, but not about integrating themselves into the society that has allowed them to play the game...LEARN THE LANGUAGE...YOU'RE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! ENGLISH SPOKEN HERE!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Considering what Sammy was born with, he has done pretty good.
In another time and in another place Juan Marichal, just up with San Francisco, was living in a boarding house in San Fran. He told Time magazine that the woman that ran the boarding house told him that if he wanted to get on and become successful in the States he had to learn good English. Juan did, and he was a very successful businessman, thanks to his US connections...so much so that he is a very fine golfer (for business purposes) and is most careful of his image...he speaks excellent engilis-of course and his Spanish is educated....

But that was then and Sammy is now. Juan was going to get 125,000$$ tops and Sammy makes that every week. He could care less.....

HB

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Hey, Musicqueen.....
Yes, I love the Yankees and would root for them over boston any day of the week. When it comes to awards though the situation is different. I love the game too much and respect it just as much to be biased. It is my opinion that this year he is not deserving of the award. This year, His team faded down the stretch and all though he was plagued with injuries, on days he did pitch the BIG games I can not honestly say he was the best in Baseball.
BTW: You're right I am American by birth. First generation.
But Dominican by blood. Which, in my family, oversides anything else.
As with Sammy his laziness to learn the language is no excuse. For god sake, I'm not asking him to replace Ari Fleischer. Speak the language well enough so you don't sound like you just learned it last week. I cringe every time I see a replay of his infamous post conference quote "Basbol ha bin bery bery bery guu to mi"

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
English Language

Ther main reason to learn the English language is that it is in your best interest. It applies to whether you live in the USA or almost anywhere in the world. If you want to do business....English is it. However, If I you want to give me US$20million a year, I will more than gladly forget all my English, Spanish and the smattering of French I know.

jdiaz...who's the SuperBowl Champion?...I thought so...how many Basketball championships have the Knicks won?...I thought so...check the stats, when Pedro pitches agains the Yankees or any other GOOD team....he kicks their ass..just the facts, don't bother to check them.

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Mondongo, Get yourself together and have a plate of sancocho.

Football? Basketball? What does that have to do with the subject. We're talking about baseball, clown. It seems you and a few others have jumped the gun. I happen to like Pedro. Since his days with the Expos. When he has played at Shea and in the Bronx, myself and few buddies get together and bring a huge Dominican flag to the stadium as a sign of support. 'Cause we like him as player and more 'cause he's Dominican. So long as his and his team interests do not conflict my and the Yankees interest I will always root for him. As well as Sammy & Pujols.

BTW: Pedro was subpar against the Yankees this year. Thus my statement: "on days he did pitch the BIG games I can not honestly say he was the best in Baseball. "
That's a fact and do bother yourself to check them.

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Sancocho...Uh, Mondongo
Nevermind I'll do it for you. Here it goes vs. the Yankees:

DATE GAME W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO
AUG 28 NYA 0 1 2.22 1 1 0 0 0 0 6.1 5 4 3 0 4 9
Pay particular attention to the Aug 28th start. This is when he was needed most. Boston was several games out of first, with Oakland in the middle of a 20 game winning streak. Boston knew their best shot at making the playoffs was catching the Yankees. When needed most he wasn't at his best. Anybody could put numbers in league that's diluted with sub par talent. The great one's shine when their most needed. Pedro didn't this year.
Thus, he's no MVP for 2002.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
As far as I am concerned a pitcher should never be a MVP winner. They don't play everyday.
As for Pedro Martinez he is a great pitcher but lets face it he is a self centered Wussy!

Tony C.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jdiaz...TonyC....first off....golo's post DOES NOT mention P.M. as an MVP....that is not the conversation....just Cy Young.....so that's settled....

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
My take

First and foremost the premise of the OP is truly pathetic, yet I digress.

Soriano for MVP.

It's voted on by the press. NY is the center of all media. Case closed really.

Tejada, it could be argued has had a better MVP year in that he's led his team to dozens of wins - some of them single-handedly. Unfortunately for him - and anyone on EST - most only get to see a smattering of his West Coast games. That goes for the majority of the voting press too!

That will be the difference in my opinion. The difference in true baseball terms are "what's around them". Soriano has a much easier time in his lineup than Tejeda does in his. If I had a vote, I'd split it between them, they're that close.

The Cy Young should go to Derek Lowe, he's been nasty all year and he's got the all important list topper - a no-no in the Spring. That should give him the nod over Zito.

Pedro has stated that he doesn't want to pitch his last turn in the rotation. I didn't hear him say it but from what I've read it's part that he wants a prospect to get the opportunity and he doesn't want to risk injuring himself.

Regardless, if he's making $20 large a year, and the fan's are footing the bill, he should take the mound, even if it's just a token 5 innings. That being said, if it's really his true beliefs, you can take him out of consideration for the CY.

Any writer/voter that would give him the slightest consideration (again, if that's what Pedro truly feels) for the CY is doing the entire game - past, present and future - a complete disservice.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
which one o you is gonna lick my boots first?

Let this serve both of you as a lesson that if you tangle with a mondongo, you will certainly come out smelling like crap. These are the statistics for Mr Zito and Mr. Martinez against the 3 top teams in the AL. As jdiaz says, a pitcher should be measured on how he performs against the very best. read 'em and weep boys........don't cry for me argentina....the truth is ...I never left you... i love that song......skip to the bottom for the crushing summary...

Pedro:
DATE GAME W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO
APR 13 NYA 0 0 6.91 1 1 0 0 0 0 5.1 3 5 4 0 3 7
MAY 12 @SEA 1 0 3.09 1 1 0 0 0 0 8.0 4 1 1 0 3 12
MAY 18 SEA 1 0 2.80 1 1 0 0 0 0 8.0 6 1 1 1 0 9
MAY 23 NYA 1 0 2.63 1 1 0 0 0 0 7.0 4 1 1 0 2 10
JUL 19 @NYA 1 0 2.65 1 1 0 0 0 0 7.1 5 2 2 0 3 9
JUL 30 @ANA 1 0 2.36 1 1 0 0 0 0 8.0 2 0 0 0 1 9
AUG 23 ANA 1 0 2.15 1 1 0 0 0 0 8.0 6 1 1 1 0 6

Barry:
APR 14 @ANA 0 1 3.38 1 1 0 0 0 0 6.0 7 4 4 1 1 4
APR 20 ANA 0 0 4.37 1 1 0 0 0 0 4.0 6 5 4 1 4 3
APR 25 NYA 1 0 3.64 1 1 0 0 0 0 7.0 5 1 1 0 2 6
APR 30 @NYA 0 1 4.81 1 1 0 0 0 0 4.0 6 6 6 1 4 6
JUN 06 SEA 1 0 3.33 1 1 0 0 0 0 6.1 8 3 3 1 3 1
JUN 27 @SEA 0 1 3.58 1 1 0 0 0 0 3.0 9 7 7 1 2 4
JUL 18 ANA 1 0 3.12 1 1 0 0 0 0 7.1 4 0 0 0 2 4
JUL 23 @ANA 1 0 3.04 1 1 0 0 0 0 6.1 5 1 1 0 4 5
SEP 13 SEA 1 0 2.64 1 1 0 0 0 0 8.0 2 0 0 0 1 7
SEP 18 ANA 1 0 2.74 1 1 0 0 0 0 5.1 7 4 4 0 4 4
TOTALS for above games only

_____GS___w___L___ERA___IP___H____R___ER___BB___SO
Barry 10___6___3___4.73___57___59___31___30___27___44
Pedro 8__ _6___1___2.05___57___35___15___13___16___71

Do I need to interpret this?...is it even close?...Pedro even goes more innings per start!!!

Last edited:

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Hey, Mondongo......
Like I've said, when it counted the most he wasn't at his best. Aug, 28 big time start against the Yankees. His box score:
4 runs 3 earned in 6 1/3 innings pitched.
A week later against the same Yankees, he asked to miss the start. Due to an ailment, agian. Disappointing!
He's without doubt not the league's CY Young. MVP? in your dreams. He's not even Boston's team MVP. Lowe get's the Nod.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you wanna vote for Cy Young....because of..

1) I'm prettier than you
2) I make love to the camera
3) I laugh at the reporters' jokes
4) I'm willing to show my femenine sensitivity
5) I make a lot of money....but I know I don't deserve it
6) blah....blah...blah...wussy...left wing...democratic touchy feely...dont hurt my feelings cause I don't make much money and you do...and-you-should-appreciate-that-you-are-an-ahtlete-and-get-all-the-girls-and-I-never-got-the-girl-in-high-school-so-i-feel-inadequate-crap.

Sure...If you dont want to give the Prize to the pitcher who performed the best against the best teams...then go ahead and give it to the pretty boy from Nebraska.

Edited to add: Gold is within my grasp...I think I got plenty of BS left this week to get there.

Last edited:

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
Let me defend my compatriota and my home team. Just to let you know Pedro does not take crap from anyone. And he is also getting the Cy award this year, even if you do not like it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Bravo!, Cira. Now I am more certain than ever that you will be a great addition to this board.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ok...now everyone...please read...straight from MLB site:

Pedro Martinez, RHP, Red Sox:
A three-time Cy Young winner and one of the game's greatest pitchers, Martinez has shown that his shoulder problems of 2001 are behind him. He's on track to lead the AL in ERA and strikeouts and is back to being the dominant force he became in Montreal and carried over to his time with Boston.

Enough said!!!