electric fencing

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sure that some of the more acidic posters are biting their tongues!! How can you have electric fencing, if there is no electricity??

Man we were with out light for 10 hours on a Sunday!

HB, giggling...

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
HB, As I recall from the distant past, most farm electric fences are battery operated. examples can be found on the web. You can use these to keep the meter reader away even w/o electricity.
Art

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They'll probably steal your battery. And you're right HB, I'm bitting my tongue.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Actually, most of the ganaderos around here use electric fencers that are either battery or solar powered. They are reasonably priced and widely available.

Swede

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
thanks swede. thats the info i was looking for.

I have a small solar powered unit i was going to bring down, but i wasnt planning on hauling all the wire, connectors and insulators too.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have read about the solar electric fences but never have seen one installed. I would imagine that you would have to jump the voltage up to 24v or more. There might be voltage regulators spaced out at various points throughout the system. Do some research before you leave. Some of these components might not be available for purchase in the DR. I know that the small residential systems that Soluz installs are mostly 12v systems and you really can't go more than 50ft with a 4 gauge wire without losing too much voltage.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Solar electric fences energizers work just fine. The solar cell charges a 6v or 12v battery. A small circuit board puts out pulses whice are amplified to several 1000 volts using a transformer. Naturally there is very little amperage used as this would make it leathal.

The particular model i have can drive more than a mile of fence. My relatives use them in canada all the time.