Travel from DR to Cuba

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
I know this is the place to be to get real information. Here goes: Can you guys (gals) tell me what's needed to visit Cuba (besides money?). I'm a naturalized US citizen. Is there a problem for US citizen to visit Cuba. Also what's the cost aprox. of the trip.

gracias,

JROD

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Ah-hem

Jrod,
You've been on this board long enough to realize that these questions could be answered quickly by hitting the search button, since this question comes up regularly and has thus been covered several times before in the archives.
Also, doesn't this actually belong in the "travel" section?
Regards,
Keith

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
right now there is a deal to santiago cuba. 232 dollars with tax included and food and bed in a boat to santiago de cuba from puerto plata. 4 days, thrusday to sunday.
Great deal. you only need a passport and no one will stamp it. Call this number in santiago: Travel's way 809-226-8699
e mail: travelaway@codetel.net.do
the next boat will leave in 30th, i think.

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
my apologies, Keith

My apologies to you Keith and to the other members for posting my question in the wrong section.. PIB, please move to the 'travel' section. I will research the archives as you pointed out.
And now, I'll take my thousand slashes standing up.

JROD

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you really want to visit Cuba, JROD, what AZB describes would be a good way to do it. Cuba is still on America's official black list, but if you go from the DR and return to the DR before going back to the US, and there are no stamps in your passport that reveal your secret, you should be alright.

I know Americans traveling on cruising sailboats that have visited Cuba. When they depart, they travel to another island nation, rather than to the US. Cuba put no stamps in their passport.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
JROD said:
I know this is the place to be to get real information. Here goes: Can you guys (gals) tell me what's needed to visit Cuba (besides money?). I'm a naturalized US citizen. Is there a problem for US citizen to visit Cuba. Also what's the cost aprox. of the trip.

gracias,

JROD

You can fly on the (3 times a week?) flights on Cubana from SDQ to Havana. When you get there ask them, en espanol not to stamp the passport. They will stamp a slip of paper instead. Save that. They will stamp it when you go. Throw it out. After you leave.

The Cubans do not mind or care or prevent US citizens from arriving and visiting and in fact quite like the money. Also if you are a naturalized US citizen then travel on the passport where you were born, then they can stamp the hell out of it and you don't use it to enter the USA since you have a US pasport so there you go.

I cannot imagine you are naturalized from a country the Cubans would not admit.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Am I understanding correctly that a naturalized US citizen with dual nationality can have passports from both his "birth" country and his "adopted" one?
While my husband is a dual citizen of Canada (his "adopted" country) and of Italy (his "birth" country). he is only allowed to have one valid passport. If he's using his Italian passport he can't apply for a Canadian one and vice versa.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
False, MommC.

It may be vice, but it's not versa - Canada allows dual nationality. My parents each have Canadian passports and UK passports. When my husband becomes a Canadian citizen he will be able to take a Canadian passport and still retain his Dominican one. If he wants to, that is...

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
PS Thanks Jane......all I know is whenever my hubby went to remew his Italian passport they asked if he was carrying a valid Canadian passport. When he said yes they wouldn't renew his Italian one.....so maybe it's an Italian "thing"!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:
The reason Cuba is a popular destination spot for Canadians and Euros is because it is cheap do to the fact the Cuban people are forced to work for slave wages.

for what it's worth, most Cuban A-I resorts available through Canadian charter companies are more expensive than the A-I's these same companies offer in the Dominican Republic.

sunquest

mob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mobrouser said:

for what it's worth, most Cuban A-I resorts available through Canadian charter companies are more expensive than the A-I's these same companies offer in the Dominican Republic.

Interesting. Any idea why that is, mob?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe because the DR is overbuilt?? Too many resorts and not enough tourist who want to come.....or too many tourists who have been and don't want to come back??? I know many of the people who I know that have been to both the DR and to Cuba would rather return to Cuba (unless returning to the DR because of the wish to visit friends). They cite cleanliness as one of the major reasons and the abject poverty outside the resorts.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
Interesting. Any idea why that is, mob?

sorry ken, it's beyond my area of expertise-- i'm just a travel consumer.

all i know is that Cuba took off in Canada as an A-I destination about the same time as Punta Cana in the DR--around 1995-- and that Cuba has always been generally more expensive than the DR since that time.

mob

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Prices DR vs Cuba lasts weeks Calgary Herald

Sunholidays (1 week)

Varadero - Super Club AI $699.00
Varadaro - Beaches $1175.00
Cayo Coco - AI $849.00

Punta Cana - AI $1199.00
Puerto Plata - AI $1089.00

Discount Travel Warehouse (1 week)

Varadero - air $338.00
- AI $678.00
Puerto Plata - air $755.00
- AI $1044.00

If it's money "see you in Cuba" if it's love "see you in DR"
IF NOW I ONLY HAD THE TIME

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Wow....those are really high prices to the DR from Calgary!!
Much cheaper from Toronto......check out itravel2000.com

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
MommC

Prices are always better from Toronto, the trick is to get there. Usually involves $250.00 plus per person connector, 2 additional days travel, 1 or 2 extra nights in Toronto, a lot of lost sleep and one cranky wife. When I first started going to DR in 1989 this was the only way to get there. The main point of the post was Cuba "at this time anyway" is a better deal for Albertan's if money is the main concern.

PS Congratulations on wining the prize, had a tour of the resort in Feb. and it looked very promising. Sosua is a good blend of resorts and town similar to your DR neck of the woods.
Art

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks....I've been wanting to go but there's always "something" when we're there and we haven't made it yet. Heard it had gone downhill badly (what area outside the new PC/Bavaro resorts hasn't?) so it's nice to hear that it's being "re-vitalized".
BTW....prices from Montreal up until last year were way cheaper than Toronto! Same scenario for us as you described. Even from TO it's a pain 'cause we're four hours north of there so it makes for quite a trip!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Art Covey said:
Prices are always better from Toronto, the trick is to get there. ....... The main point of the post was Cuba "at this time anyway" is a better deal for Albertan's if money is the main concern.

art, thanks for that explanation, i guess my "Ontario-is-the-centre- of-the-world" attitude neglected to account for regional differences.

in all seriousness though, sunquest's book prices don't lie:

10% of the resorts they offer in Cuba are less than $1300 CDN.
23% of the resorts they offer in D.R. are less than $1300. CDN

nor do signature's:

18% in Cuba <$1300.
26% in DR are <$1300.

mob

ps. i was in Cuba briefly just prior to the '91 pan-am games. i would not go back.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
be careful in Cuba

I realize that my friend probably had bad luck but after 3 days in Cuba, he had had enough....

Day 1: hit by truck in taxi on way from airport to hotel. Woke up in a hospital bed.

Day 2: went to local bar for a beer. Only had one and woke up to policeman kicking him in the street. He only had his jeans on... no shirt, shoes or wallet.

Day 3: decided he'd had enough of Cuba, customs suspcious of him being in country for only 3 days and looking beaten up from accident. Conducted full cavity search on.

My friend is very nice looking Australian guy in his mid-30s. Does not party excessively or "womanize". A little naive but well traveled.

My point? Be careful there!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My brother has gone to Cuba twice on Church related projects, first to build a house in Havana and the second was a larger project( school and church) in a small villiage on the other end called Hamel. Both times he was the project director( the guy that had to deal with Cuban Goverment officials, customs...etc) He was not impressed with Havana and the lack of basic foods...etc was very apparent. The village in the Campo was like night and day, no goverment officials, more food, happier people. Tony is right that going to Cuba helps Castro but it also helps the Cuba people. The biggest problem with the resort areas in Cuba is that ordinary Cubans can't go there unless they work there. The electricity is more reliable than the DR and it is much, much cleaner. Many people that I know that have been to the DR like the people, the relatively low crime but hate the garbage, but then this area in Canada where I live takes a great deal of pride in clean water, streets...etc. But we pollute to much also. I'd book my own rooms and fly down on Air Transat or West Jet who are now going to fly to Cuba and DR from Toranto and Hamilton.