Custody Issues in the DR

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am currently married to a man from the DR. He is coming to Canada. We've applied to bring his daughter as well. The parents were never married. He has a letter (5 years old) from the child's mother saying he can take her out of the country.

Is this enough? What are his rights as the father? Can the mother stop us?

Thanks for your help!!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Rendul. Unfortunately I find immigration ministry staff in Canada and the DR to be unreliable. If you ask the same question of 10 different staff members, you will most likely get 10 different answers!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio Guzman or his associates, the lawyers who answer questions in this section, should be able to give you some idea regarding the position the Dominican government will take with respect to allowing the child to leave, but, more important, is whether or not the Canadian government will be willing to admit the children and what documents they require in order to make a decision.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If the father appears on the child's birth certificate as the father, if the child lives with the father, if the mother has abandoned the child (then you may not even have to bother contacting her), or does not oppose the child leaving with you (she already indicated so in writing), I don't see a problem from this end. The father may apply for a passport for the child, and the child can travel with the father. Migration authorities only require for the child to travel with one parent.

While mother's are usually given legal custody, in this case, if the child has been living with the father, then the father has the defacto custody. If you want to legalize this, bring the issue up with the children court and request that the father be granted formal custody. The court will most likely rule favorably, as they take into consideration first what is best for the child. If the child is already living with the father, then this should just be a routine procedure.

You need to focus most of your attention on what the Canadian migration authorities will require for relocating with the child.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for the information Dolores! I'll now contact Canadian authorities here to try to get some help from them.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If the father can prove (passport, birth certificate) that the boy is his son, he does not need an authorization from the mother to travel with the child to Canada. Such an authorization is only required by article 116 of the law 14-94 if none of the parents are traveling with the child.

The situation in Canada depends on Canadian law only.

Julio & Chris

Last edited: