It's about time........

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I showed my kinder,gentler self!

Much has been said in many of the threads about what we can do to help in the DR. Some such as Maine Girl,Andre and Meredith have spoken of "missions" that they go on to help out. Many ideas have been espoused. Some of us have stated what we bring when we come and how it is distributed. A few websites have been listed.
Now if I bring down somethings it may help a couple of people. If Meredith,MaineGirl,Andre and I bring down things it may help a few people. If everyone who visits the DR brings down a few things it will help a lot of people.
So.....I've put together some lists of "Care Packages" that I ask everyone who comes to visit me to bring with them.....They are given the list and asked to bring one care package - whichever is easier for them to compile and pack. None cost more than a few $$ and none weigh very much or take up much room in a suitcase.
I'm going to post them, one by one, and ask that you all put on your thinking caps and see if you can come up with something.
Then please remember to bring one when YOU come!

Care Package #1: to be given to the local "free" clinic
1bottle Baby Aspirin
1 bottle childrens vitamins (2-4 yr or 4-6 yr.old potency)
1 box tongue depressors (available at pharmacies, craft stores,medical supply stores)
1 bag cotton balls
1 box alcohol wipes (at pharmacies or med supply stores)
1 box children's bandaides (the ones with the dinosaurs or childrens figures on them)
1 bag "penny" lollipops (suckers)- for the doctor to dole out after giving a needle.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package #2 : to be given to the local "Free" clinic
1 tube Polysporin (or equivalent)
1 bottle Dettol
1 bottle Childrens Cold Syrup
I roll Gauze dressing
1 canister Medical Tape
1 bottle Children's Benadryl
1 jar Vick's VapoRub

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package #3 : to be given to the local school
2 boxes (25 each) pencils
2 boxes chalk
2 boxes "Stick-on" Stars or two sheets "Stickers (used to reward children for good work)
1 small "slate board" or blackboard (available in major dept.stores toy section or craft stores)
1 box "magic markers"
Take to the school and give to a teacher explaining that the pencils are to be given to the students and the rest of the articles used in the classroom. Tell her/him that when you next visit you expect to see them in use!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package #4 : to be given to local school
1 large World Map
1 large Map of Dominican Republic (may be a photocopy but large enough to put on wall)
1 pkg. Scotch tape
1 pkg. Masking tape
1 500 sheet pkg. looseleaf lined paper
Same instructions as for Care Pkg.#3

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package # 5 :to be given to the local "free" clinic
1-2 pkg. Anti-bacterial hand wipes
I pkg. Disposable Latex gloves (available at pharmacies)
1 bottle Childrens Tylenol (the drop type for babies)
1bottle Rubbing Alcohol
1 bottle Hand Sanitizer

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package #6 : to be given to local school
8 pkgs "Notebooks" (54-5 for $1 at "buck stores")
2 boxes 25/box pencils
1 pkg. 40/pack garbage bags
1 box disposable latex gloves
Take to the local school and talk to the teacher of one of the "older classes" to arrange a "clean-up day"
Each child is given a garbage bagand a glove then the whole class "walks" the neighbourhood to pick up garbage.
When the bags are filled and the area is "litter free" the children each get a notebook and pencil. The class gets to use any left over garbage bags to keep the school yard clean!

A great idea MommC,
I must say I have been doing the school thing ever since I started going to the Caribbean years ago whether it was the DR or other countries, in fact I used to occasionally filter a few things out of work, just a few at a time (LOL), until I had a decent supply. Ah corporate crime!!!
These things are really appreciated by the teachers and students.

A

AC/DC

great idea MommC.
If one person does it, it will help one local school or clinic a little.
If ten people do it, it will help a few local schools and clinics.
If 100 people do it, it will help several local schools and clinics.
If 1000 people do it -WOW!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package #7 : to be given to local school
1 pkg. construction paper
1 bottle white clue
1-2 pairs childs' scissors
1 pkg mutil coloured marker pens
1 pkg crayons
1 ruler
1 pkg plain white paper
Same instructions as Car Pkg. #3

lilly

Aug 1, 2002
I'm living in France, so I'll pass the word to French tourists as well.
What a good idea MommC!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
For several years now "She that must be Obeyed"& I have been saying this to tourists who go out on excursions. Instead of the candies (thrown in an imprialistic manner from jeeps/cars etc), pass the pencils, exercise books, colouring books etc. to the parents when you stop at villages on route etc. The parents then ensure equal distribution to children - those that don't get this time, get NEXT time.
IF there is no room in the traveling baggage for these small items, go to the local libraria (stationers) & BUY some, rather than the candies! The local stores will be delighted TOO. If you want to go REALLY mad, buy the village a large dictionary (English, German or French would be best - in that order) Eveb cheaper, make out a list of phrases in common use when visiting tourists arrive (make sure you write the phonetic equivalent alongside) & give one person responsibility for keeping it in good order. This list can be practised by the adults & children on a daily basis!!

Please do not give money to "Sweet looking" children as this could lead them into using their "sweetness" for other purposes when they get a little older!! If you give money out, make sure someone responsible gets it to use in an effective manner!!

I am sure other 'Residents' have their pet thughts on this subject too - come on guys, lets really give the incoming visitors some ideas as to how to improve the lot of those in the campo!! - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Another package idea.
2 x boxes of 25 or 50 CANDLES for when the power is off.
1 x rechargeable torch - the powerful variety.
OR
2 x drop glass Hurricane lamps (available quite cheaply locally).
- Grahame.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Great ideas, MommC and Bushbaby...I hate seeing tourists throwing candy to the children, such a better way to help them!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Care Package # 8: to be given to a local school
2 hand held pencil sharpeners
2 pair child's scissors
2 rulers
2 pkgs. crayons
1 pkg scrapbook or drawing paper
1 pkg. tape
1 pkg index cards

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
This is great! Thank you MommC and BushBaby for the ideas. We will certainly do some of this, and we'll pass this thread on to friends who are going to DR the same time as we are. We bought a bunch of glow-in-the-dark stickers to give to kids, but did not want to do the "throwing in an imperialistic manner" thing. We'll add them to a school package as described. Thanks again for wonderful ideas!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Glad you like the ideas Keith & Chris! Now that you're back did you actually try any of them??
I'm packing light this trip so have only a carry on of "gifts" but I've managed to put in several Care packages. Can't wait to get there!!!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
MommC, this is great! Having some neat and tidy ideas is VERY helpful for those who want to give and aren't sure how.

I have thought of kids sneaker and baseball glove drives for my school to participate in this spring. Now I am going to print up your lists and ask each family to put together a package.

I really think a volunteer section would be nice on this board. We have a smattering of questions on a regular basis and it would provide a home base. We also have many people who post here who are connected in some way to organizations or know of great resources to help. And there needs to be a place for a word of caution against well meaning "do-gooders". It's like the old saying about American missionaries being elephants who dance with mice. We want to dance with the locals but crush them with our good intentions, or promises we can't follow through on, etc.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Thanks so much for the care package ideas. I was wondering what I could do on my first trip down and this has given me lots of ideas! Now I will just need to know where the nearest free clinic is. I am sure I will be able to find this out. I know, Johnny Honda said I could look him up, so I will get directions from him.

Thanks again,

Tondra

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Tondra
Do my best to hook you up,also Im checking out a teaching position for next year Ill get you the details soon.
Momm C
Great post,I myself try to keep it a bit more personal as in sponsoring individual children by supplying clothing and education,and when possible a sack of rice or other foodstuffs,NO CASH!!Keep in mind all these people are proud do not do this if its to make them feel needy or denigrate them.No one wants a handout without caring and respect.They will be family for life if you only care about them and show interest in who they are not what they are.
J.H.

Last edited: