"Clocking" A Used Vehicle

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have been told that a competent mechanic can determine if a car has been clocked (mileage turned back to lower number). Does anyone know of a good mechanic that would check this on a used car?

I would assume that almost all cars here are clocked. Take a car from the US that was a rental unit...looks good on the outside but many miles on the inside......turns the miles back and get a lot more for it.

Any comments?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
When a car is imported into the country from the USA...there should be some kind of record listing the mileage? Anyone know where to find this?

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
clocked vehicle

snuffy,

If the vehicle you' re buying is recent, it probably has a manufactured digital speedometer in the dash. If that's the case you need not worry, because they are tamper proof.

While we are on the subject, Has there ever been a case where a poster has managed to succesfully bring in a vehicle to the D.R , I researched the files and I haven't seen any.

Re: clocked vehicle

Jwb said:
snuffy,

If the vehicle you' re buying is recent, it probably has a manufactured digital speedometer in the dash. If that's the case you need not worry, because they are tamper proof.
LOL:
Run by the car's computer, it sure can be fixed. I know of a lot of leased vehicles that have an electronic resistor and switch put in line, to turn it off an on as deemed necessary by the owner, in order to keep those clicks off the odometer.

Simple as this, if it is electronic it can be manipulated.