Good Dentist in Puerto Plata?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The dentist we have been using in Sosua gave up his practice. The other dentist here is not highly recommended. So we are looking to Puerto Plata.

Can BushBaby or anyone else recommend a good dentist in Puerto Plata?

Most of our friends go to Santiago, but they have cars and we don't.

medizin011.gif

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Good Question...

And one I would like answered for Santiago also. So a good Dentist for Puerta Plata and one for Santiago?

james

Jan 14, 2002
Try Freddy Lepe...Duarte #75 586-6666
Speaks perfect English, was eduacted in part in the USA. He is not Dominican but from Paraguay. Has the most modern equipment and has been using computer systems for many years.
Plays only QUIET classical type music in his working office.

Santiago: try Milton Troche. He does reconstructive jaw work as well. Excellent office, very well equiped, well staffed and about 6 different chairs in separate rooms and staff to assist him. NOT CHEAP but very good. Calle 16 de Agosto No. 124, Edif Julian Ramia Abaid, 2nd level 971-6047 / 6118 / 1253
Does not speak much English. Secretary on the phone very professional and helpful

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Ken,
"She that must be Obeyed" uses Freddy Lepe (details above) & has been happy with him for about 7 years. He is NOT too good at keeping appointment times (up to 1/2 hour late unless you get firm with him) & DON'T book first thing in morning or immediately after lunch - he is generally late!!! However, our English Dentist friend has checked out the work he does and it is GOOD with up to date technology.
I use Dr. Jose Alberto Reyes in Beller #54. Tel. 586-4770 Beeper 478-2503. Tell him I recommended you & you want the same appointment arrangements that I have i.e he sees you within 10 minutes of appointment time or you're out of there!!! His work is good too & he speaks English when necessary. - Happy pulling - Grahame.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Dentist

Can anybody recommend a good dentist from La Romana or Higuey. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Grahame and James. I'd just as soon not go to dentists, but since it is necessary, I want a good one. If you trust them, I do, too.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Freddy lepe is (in fact born) in Guatemala but raised in USA. He is probably the best dentist in puerto plata area and sees more patients than everyone (atleast when I was living in pop).
Go see him and you won't regret it; he is worth every peso.

AZB

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
BushBaby said:
Hey Ken,
He is NOT too good at keeping appointment times (up to 1/2 hour late unless you get firm with him) & DON'T book first thing in morning or immediately after lunch - he is generally late!!!
I find this a genral rule among dentisit, my boss takes a 2-3 hour lunch and dosnt come in till about 11:00!

T

TiberiusMineola

Dr. Mercado, Imbert

Try Dr. Leonardo Mercado, 581 2377, Calle Duarte, "downtown", Imbert. Reliable, clean office, speaks English to a point, exc. follow-up, & charges 60% of what the POP dentists are charging. He stands behind his work, w/o charging twice. Mostly local Dominican clientele. A 20" ride from POP, guagua or car, but well worth it. He's been my local dentist for @ 3 years. Highly recommended.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A word about Dentists.

In my vast experience with these folks-dentists-I have been amazed at what you will find.

I have recommended two of them so far and they are excellent: Xiomara Rodriguez Ochoa, Calle Sanchez in Santiago and Rita Mu?oz, Centro Dental del Cibao, Calle Sabana Larga, Santiago.

What I would again recommend to anyone looking for health care providers, is to find out where they studied. Did they go to the PUCMM? To UMPHU? Probably very qualified and dedicated. Anything else, frankly, and I would look elsewhere. I can give all sorts of reasons and I will state that there are a few excellent people from other schools, but the creme de la creme are from these two schools. Their programs are more demanding and their teachers are more dedicated.

Another thing. PUCMM grads are very reluctant to remove a piece, and would rather save it as far as possible. there are some good implant people here also, but I have not used them--yet!!

HB grinning with most of my teeth....

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Dra. Wendy Juma in Sosua at the Plaza Enrique Hauser, opposite Supermercado Sosua. She is a graduate of PUCMM and very up-to-date on modern dentistry. She's also a lovely person!

571-2767

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
Dra. Wendy Juma in Sosua at the Plaza Enrique Hauser, opposite Supermercado Sosua. She is a graduate of PUCMM and very up-to-date on modern dentistry. She's also a lovely person!

I am very interested in your report, Jane J. I assume that you have had personal experience with her. I was told that she now occupies this office and that she would be good for cleaning and checking. However, the person that told me this also indicated he didn't know how she would be for crowns, bridgework, etc. Are you saying these are well within her level of competence?

What about cleanliness? Were you well satisfied? Does she speak English? My wife is accustomed to being treated by people who don't, but prefers having someone who speaks at least some.

Obviously it would be easier for me to remain in Sosua, but you are the first person from whom I could get a first hand report on her competence and range of skills.

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I've never had crown or bridge work done, but as a graduate of estomatologia (which includes maxilo-facial surgery) she is knowledgeable on all things dental. My husband had his root canal there, and our dentist here (in Canada) said it was very well done.

Her office is very clean and she has all the sterilizing equipment necessary. When she took over the practice in that office, it included all the equipment.

What I like about her best though is her manner - she's really soothing and puts you at ease. She speaks basic English, as far as I'm aware.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds good, Jane J. Thanks. Does she know your name? If so, we'll tell her you recommended her to us.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She sure knows mine!! I was one of her professors during the first year.
Sorry Jane J. I did not know that Wendy was practicing there in Sosua. If she has the equipment, she is very good.
Another word. Most, if not all, Dentists do not actually do the crowns and bridges. They prepare the tooth to receive the new piece and it is sent out to what are called "Dental Laboratories" where the crown or bridge is actualy made.. Wendy can do that in a heartbeat....

I would say you are very fortunate to have here in Sosua, and tell her that her profi is very happy that she is getting along so well..

HB