extended visit

madcaster

Jun 2, 2002
I will be comming to the Dominican to spend the winter with my girlfriend who is working there. Will I need some sort of visa for a 6-8 month stay. I will not be working.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Don't bother with a visa, do what everyone else does, just pay the "over stay" tax when you leave, maybe RD$150 (US$8).

madcaster

Jun 2, 2002
Open tickets are very expensive ($2000+) and it seems the cheapest way would be to get a charter flight and discard the return portion. Due you forsee this being a problem? I do plan on leaving Dr a couple of times through out the winter.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yep, thats the best way. A one-way back to the UK will cost you between US$3-500, depending on the tour operator and time your travelling. The day's of cheap one-way tickets on charters to the UK are long gone.

madcaster

Jun 2, 2002
But if I leave DR at christmas to go to Jamaica will they let me back in without any return flight? The more hassels I can avoid the better.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
madcaster said:
But if I leave DR at christmas to go to Jamaica will they let me back in without any return flight? The more hassels I can avoid the better.

That's a good question. You have reason to be concerned.

You'll be buying your round-trip ticket in the DR, so you won't have to worry about a ticket clerk/agent in Jamaica telling you they aren't allowed to sell you a one-way ticket. I don't recall ever being asked by an official at the airport to show a ticket, but then as a resident I would have been in a different line than you will be. Someone else should be able to speak to that.

What you will have in your possession are a passport with the initial entry stamp and the exit stamp, and the stubs of a round-trip ticket that correspond with the date of the exit stamp.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There's a different line for residents?

Ken said:
but then as a resident I would have been in a different line than you will be. Someone else should be able to speak to that.

I have entered via SDQ 12 times in the last 2 years and I haven't ever seen a resident/non-resident lineup at immigration - it appears to be a scrum as to whoever is least busy. I recall maybe a Diplomat lineup or was that for customs?

Also, I have never been asked for a ticket at all let alone a return ticket.

Rae

Jan 2, 2002
Another question

If you are not getting a visa and intend on paying the over stay tax, what date would you write on your tourist card? Would I fill it out as if I?m there on holiday for 60 days and just not leave?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Another question

Rae said:
If you are not getting a visa and intend on paying the over stay tax, what date would you write on your tourist card? Would I fill it out as if I?m there on holiday for 60 days and just not leave?

Yes.