Inversor (Invertor) Batteries

S

Stephen

Is it possible for one or all of my intertor batteries to be giving off a terrible sulfar type smell????? If so, what can we do about it?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Batteries

I believe most inverter batteries (6v deep cycle) omit Sulpher Dioxide gas. So they should be placed outside.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Keep them outside or in a ventaleted area (open windows etc).
I think you should also try to keep the charger at a slow pace. There is a setting within the charging setting of the inverter (if they are using the dip switches to control the flow of charge). This way the batteries would charge in a longer time but in return they will last longer and give out less harmfull gases.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Excess heat is a batteries enemy and can be caused by charging too rapidly. Also, I understand that the gas rises and will collect in a room that is not well ventilated or does not have some outlet at the highst point. That gas can explode and is corrosive. Try what AZB said. Overcharging and running them down too far are also very bad. A good inverter/charger will avoid both conditions.

Have fun!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Stephen, the gas given off from the batteries is hydrogen which is odorless and highly inflammable. ALWAYS keep the batteries in a well ventilated place & never smoke around them. Canadian Bob