English schools in Santo Domingo

jphilpotts

Oct 5, 2002
My son and I will be moving to the DR in December of this year and If there is anyone out there who can give me a little insight as to which primary/pre-school is the best and closest to UNIBE I would really appreciate any info that you might have. I would prefer an English school, as he only speaks english right now. I have done a little research already and Carol Morgan looks like the best bet, but it's a little pricey!! It's also a little far to travel with no vehicle and trying to get to school on time myself. If anyone can help please drop me a line!!:confused:

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I don't know much about it, but I understand Carol Morgan is well regarded. Most of the people who go there seem to drive SUVs and be pretty well off. I have only talked to one person personally about it, and he was satisfied with it for his kids. The price was his main complaint as I recall. As a parent, you should personally check out the school you are using- that rule applies more here than just about anywhere. I was associated with an "English" school for a short time and the lack of educational standards were absolutely appalling not to mention the lack of discipline and lack of respect of the students as well as the poor classroom equipment. Shall I go on?
You should see the classrooms. If you don't know which classroom is your childs, can I kindly suggest that you aren't involved enough? You can check yourself to see if there is toilet paper in the bathrooms and blackboards on the walls, desks for the students and lecterns for the teachers(academy grades) etc. etc. You should pop in during school hours preferably unrecognized if possible. You can park outside and watch the students leaving after school or while they are playing outside. Are they orderly and happy and all of those other good things? Perhaps more important even than those things, is that you should have a warm relationship with the teacher-and not just at PTA meetings. Perhaps something more like a weekly or biweekly chat with the teacher would be more appropriate. Sorry if I am rambling, but it really hurts me to see parents sending their kids to school either assuming they are getting what they are needing or else not caring or perhaps seduced into it through a "friendship" with someone associated with the school when all the while, the kids are learning almost nothing except bad character traits and poor work habits.

jphilpotts

Oct 5, 2002
No, I absolutely agree 100%. It is almost abuse if a parent is not involved in the education of their children. I have taken my son out of three pre-schools here in Miami, just because of the sortof lack of care. Not that he wasn't being provided the essentials, you know food, water, air etc. But there was certainly no nurturing going on.

Thank you so much for your reply. So if I can manage the price and the distance, you have heard good things about Carol Morgan and I should go and check it out personally. I wonder if there are any other schools closer to Gazcue. How long would it take to get from Carol Morgan to the Gazcue area? Do you have a guestamate?

Thank you again, I really appreciate your imput and if there is anything else that you would like to relay about moving to the DR as a single mother please by all means drop me a line or send a reply. I have been there about five times but mainly in the La Romana and Bayahibe area. So I really havn't got a chance to get out and really explore the capital. I mean I drove through and visited UNIBE, however didn't spend much time in the area.:confused: