High schools in the Samana Peninsula?

alexita

Oct 6, 2002
Does anybody know which towns in the Samana Peninsula have a high school (grade 9 to 12)?
I looked in the DR yellow pages, and could find only a French school (no level indicated) in Las Terrenas.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
There is a high school in Samana itself and I think one also in Sanchez and Las Terrenas. A new high school is being built in Las Galeras but it won't be finished until next year.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Andy, I think she is referring to English or foreign managed schools?? Maybe?? All the major towns have high schools, the one in Saman? is pretty good by most local standards....
it is the parents that make the kids do the work and the local director is known for her work in education...

HB, a Saman? fan...

alexita

Oct 6, 2002
Thank you, Andy, for your response.

Actually Hillbilly, I was asking about Dominican public schools. I have a 14 year-old daughter who speaks Spanish reasonably well (she has been to school in Cuba, among other places).

Your post seems to suggest that the local schools are pretty bad. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on this?

I am looking at moving somewhere around the Samana Peninsula and would like to get more info on the real estate situation. (Should this be another thread? I am kind of new at this froum thing :cross-eye )

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
1. Questions about real estate in Samana merit a new thread. People who might have information may not see your questions because they assume this thread is about education.

2. The education level of the Dominican school system isn't too high. Teachers are low paid and there are strikes that keep the students out of school for long periods. Thme style of teaching is pretty much lecture by the teacher and writing it down by the students and considerable home work.

Hillbilly has indicated he believes that the schools in Samana are comparatively good, and that may be. The history of the Samanese is quite different than that of the rest of the country and education has always been important.

We lived in Samana for about 12 years and have friends there (Dominican) who sent their children to the high school. As HB indicated, these parents seemed to spend a lot of time at the school, and I know they oversaw the work of their children at home. The problem you have is that there is no alternative in Samana. The number of students who might attend and support a private high school isn't large enough.

alexita

Oct 6, 2002
Thank you to all of you for your input.

Does anyone have some information about the "Escuela Francesa De Las Terrenas". Which grades are taught? It is a denominational school?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that unless you live in Las Terrenas that school is out of the question. Las Terrenas is out of the way. Quite a piece from Saman?.
Ask Andy B your questions about real estate...
The Saman? High School has supplied my university with some excellent students. Therefore, I would think that it is pretty good.
Our Secretary of Labor is from there. And I know of a couple of engineers also....It will be a very good experience for your child...I should think.

HB