fishing

jove808

Oct 7, 2002
I will be visiting the DR (punta Cana) in the first week of December.
Me and My wife would love to do some offshore fishing.
Can anyone please recomend a good but not too expensive captain or a website.
How is the fishing in december and what are people catching?

Thanks

Jove

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Contact Capt Forest Rodriguez at http://www.centromarino.net/ and ask him your questions about fishing and arranging for a trip. He is deeply involved in all matters related to boats, fishing, etc., in that general area.

fisch035.gif

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Where exactly will you stay in the area of Bavaro Punta Cana? There are several different companies which offer deep see fishing. I think best is you come here and just ask your rep or at the reception of your hotel where you can book a fishing trip.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JOHNNY HONDA said:
Does Forest work out of Punta Cana i always thought he was in Boca Chica

His marine store is in Boca Chica, but he is active in many boating groups and has an encyclopedic knowledge of all matters marine, especially from Boca Chica to Santo Domingo. If someone looking for information, he would be a good person to contact. If nothing else, he could refer you to people better able to answer the specific question.

jove808

Oct 7, 2002
I will be staying in Sunscape resort. Thats about all I know.
I just wondered if anyone can refer someone good and reputible.
What kind of Salt water fishing is there in the first week of December?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
sailfish should be around, kingfish as well, there is always the 1000 to 1 shot of getting a marlin, but i know people that have fished a lifetime and not gotten a marlin,(costa rica can guarantee a marlin but i don't want to go to costa rica) and there should be dolphin, (the fish, not the mammal, known in the pacific as Mahi Mahi),,,,,
having lived in key west for 22 years and knowing it to be an expensive place for everything i was surprised to find out that fishing trips in the DR can cost more! in key west i am used to paying 350 dollars for a half day, plus tip for the mate. it is then my boat, captain, mate, ice, and bait...i sometimes take a friend or friends' wife along.......the last time i checked out deeep-sea fishing in the DR it was a per person deal, about 150 bucks and they would not go until they put six others, strangers, on the same boat with me. that is way too crowded,,,no way do i fish that way....7 times 150 bucks = 1050 dollars for the boat,,,in key west it's 350 if i go alone or take 4 friends wives.....also most US charter captains are limited to 6 passengers by the US coast guard,,,,,,safety issues....
when you get a big fish "on" the hook you don't want it getting tangled up with everyone else's line, so they have to get all the other lines out of the water. you can see the dilema.
this type of fishing is done by trolling and you generally can't manage more than 4 lines in the water at a time being trolled anyway....but if you want big fish this is how you fish them..
now if you are talking bottom fishing, the boat drops anchor and everybody drops a line, this can be done a "party boat", i've seen 40 people on them,,,,in KW this costs 25 bucks, i don't know about the DR, this can be a lot of fun and i encourage you to try it,,,,,,however, you do not catch sailfish or marlin this way.........
tight lines and screaming reels to ya,
michael lesawyer

jove808

Oct 7, 2002
:cool: Hi Michael, thanks for the tip.
I am a little discouraged about the fishing in DR too. They told me they take 6 people on the boats and a ersonal charter is $900. expensive.
Have you fished in the DR before?
I have fished Keys west twice with friends and had a great time and though it to be relativlely cheap.
Try Cabo san lucas Mexico. Me and the wife were there last year. Fantastic $200 for a 20ft panga boat for 2. Caught Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Skipjacks and a Sailfish.

Michael (AS well)