innocent life lost

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
In the two years that I have been going to Rio San Juan there have been 4 murders and numerous arrests and accidents.

A few nights ago in a softball field near Rio San Juan, a little boy only 4 years old died. He died because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Two women were arguing over a spilled beer and one of their husbands stepped in - the other husband had a gun and he started to fire. He injured a man and killed the little boy. All because he had a gun, he was angry and the freedom to use it! This did not have to happen this way. why are people prone to violence so quickly when something goes wrong?

I notice that many people wear guns in the DR. and when I have asked who they are I almost always get the response that they are Police. I admit I am ignorant in this area - but are citizens allowed to carry guns in the DR? Does this type of tragedy happen often in other parts of the island?

I am not naive to think change will happen overnight but is there any move to make a change in the country? Maybe save some innocent lives from meaningless death?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What I know:

In the DR the freedom to bear arms doesn't exist (like in the US), but private citizens may own certain type of firearms, provided they have a license for that. Legal ownership of a gun is not really the problem (IMHO), since very few of the legal owners (that I've heard of) are ever involved in this type of incidents.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rosanie said:
I notice that many people wear guns in the DR. and when I have asked who they are I almost always get the response that they are Police. I admit I am ignorant in this area - but are citizens allowed to carry guns in the DR?

Yes, citizens are allowed to carry guns if they possess the proper license. There are also citizens carrying unlicensed guns. Recently in Sosua (and I presume elsewhere) cars were being stopped on the highway and their occupants--if Dominican--were being checked for unlicensed weapons.

There have been other reports of shootings--at political rallies and elsewhere. Mix guns, Latin blood and booze and you have a dangerous combination.

But the problem of too many guns, licensed or otherwise, isn't unique to the DR.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
That is very sad Rosanie, especially when it involves the death of a child. That is awful. I have always felt more safe in the D.R. than my own country, even with the amount of people carrying guns.
Let's not forget though, that statistic in Rio San Juan compared to some of the "ghettos" in the U.S. I believe that there is a much higher rate of deaths in those areas, also involving young children. Obviously, there is a problem, where preventative measures must be taken and education on the issue and the dangers of guns. Licensed or unlicensed, the danger is there none the less.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Thanks for the N.R.A. propaganda.Whats next ?People kill not guns.Rosanie,so sorry you witnessed such a sad event,the d.r. is still one of the safest places to live in the world,i hope this thread stays about what it was intended for

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I was just making the statement that there is a worldwide problem with guns in general. People do kill, but if guns weren't so easy to get, then it wouldn't be as large as a problem that it is.

Again, Rosanie, I send my regrets to the little boy.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Having guns is one thing - using them is another. There is a time and place for when they should be and are used. For example, Hunting, Law enforcement, security etc etc etc. but at a softball game???? The average citizen in my opinion should not have a gun unless they have a valid reason.

I actually didnt witness this tragedy but my husband who lives in Rio San Juan did. In August, I was in Rio San Juan when a young man, about 24 years old was murdered in front of the Laguna Gri Gri. A gun wasnt invloved this time but a knife and another life lost because of violence. Violence occured not for a very good reason. If violence must exist can we not have violence directed at a worthy cause instead of a four year old? A worthy cause of course is debatable. Violence isnt new but one would think that in this day and age we would have learned from the past and have now a more proactive approach to prevent unnecessary death. I realize Guns laws are a means of achieving this goal but I think we need to do more work with Education, Communication and basic Human Rights!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The death of a 4 year old is a tragedy no matter how it happened!
Murder rates are directly proportional to the economy and education levels of an area.
In the US the only Firearms legislation that has lowered the Crime or murder rates have been the recent passage of Concealed Carry laws. Criminals, as stupid as they are, are not stupid enough to rob or attack somebody if they think they might be carrying. I am all in favor of harsh penalties for those who commit crimes with a firearm. But I am dead set against disarming the vast majority of Firearms owners who are law abiding, upstanding citizens.
We live in a world where people have no problems with taking from you your property or even your life. I wish it was not so but I hold no illusions about the kindness of my fellow man.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Seems to me I remember more almost as many deaths by machetazo as by guns back in the dark ages of the 60's

Last edited:

scaramooch

Dumb as a box of rocks!
Oct 1, 2002
Rosanie, Dominicans are very emotional and have a volatile demeanor, the sad part about it is that disputes are more likely to result on somebody getting hurt or killed, one reason is the justice system in the country, small claim court is none existance and if some body screws over you violance is the result , and a poor person trying to sue some body with money doesn't stand a chance so a lot of dispute are resolved with violance.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
my prayers for the little boy....as he looks down upon us now....there is no greater tragedy than a young life not fullfilled...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to reports, that guy possessed the weapon in an illegal manner. typical behaviour for low lifes...

HB
PS. Washington , D.C. has a very strict gun law and one of the highest crime rates in the US. Jamaica has really strict gun legislation and the highest crime rate in the Caribbean, so much so that the cruise ships are leaving.....

Florida and Texas have Carry Laws and their crime rates have dropped....Chickenshit hoods don't like getting whacked by 78 year old grannies that are packing heat and know how to use it....

Khesan_68

Oct 8, 2002
I think you may find the difference between people carrying weapons in the US v. those in the DR is that most US States require strict background checks and a minimal "gun safety" course or a demonstrated ability to use that weapon.

I a, not naive to believe this to be always true, but any person caught carrying a firearm in the US intoxicated, permit or not, is looking at jail

Joe B

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Joe, you are just plain wrong. Where did you come up with this stuff?

Only way you can even have a pistol permit revoked is to commit a felony in NY which is about the toughest state on Gun Control. Strict background check yes, demonstrated ability NO.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Joe,
Jazzcom is right. No background check to buy a "used" weapon either. In Maine, we require a hunter's safety course for a hunting license. No such course is required to get a handgun permit. Just a background check.

I had a handgun for years (kept it locked up), and no government agency knew, or would have cared, that I had it.

Mainer

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
In the US it is now mandatory to have a criminal background check for the purchase of a Firearm. What a waste of time that is. Do you think Criminals buy their guns at a gun shop? Also there is a mandatory "Cooling off" period for the purchase of a handgun.
When I applied for my Conceal Carry permit I had to take a 3 hour course on Firearm Safety and laws. What a waste of time! I knew more than the Instructor.
Did you know that at Columbine the 2 youths violated 22 firearm laws? Lot of good that did.

Tony C.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
When I lived in Vermont, I had a hand gun and a rifle. I carried the Hand gun on the passenger seat to make it legal.

I bought these guns at the local "Hardware" store in Wilmington VT. All I needed was a drivers license. I bought my hunting license at the local ma and pa grocery store lunch counter. Just paid my money and walked out with it.

I had a shield when I lived in NY before I applied for my handgun permit which of course is mine to keep unless I am "CONVICTED" of a felony. They just gave me the shield when I was hired. I could have been a terrorist for all they knew. Went to the local gunstore and they were tripping over themselves to sell me their overpriced handguns. Bought one and ammo, they filled out a form and off I went. NO CHECK WHATSOEVER. I have a pistol permit since 1981 and show the picture from it of me with an Afro to get attention. Everyone chuckles at that picture.

I have in the past had a Federal Firearms License and a State Firearms License which I no longer have. There were a few other things that I thought were pretty funny, police officers weren't knowledgeable about the firearms laws.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
update to story

There are now people in jail for what happened at the softball park where the 4 year old was killed. Not only his killer but the others who started the fight over spilled beer are also in Nagua.

My questions is why is the woman who spilled beer in jail? In fact, her actions started a fight with another woman that led to her better half getting upset and angry and firing shots from his gun that injured another man who was starting to get invloved and of course, one of those shots killed a little boy.

BUt because she spilled some beers and had a few choice words with someone that justifies jail time in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She is in jail for "Razones de investigaci?n"
They cast a wide net and then sort them out, generally speaking.
Remember that the gun was not licensed...
They guy will do some hard time....
"Alcohol and firearms do not mix." a saying my grandpappy taught me a loooong time ago...

HB
bandit.gif