Citizenship Vs Residencia

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Fabio

i have been told many storys so i would like your opinion on the following
is it better for a person who has been here several years to get a residencia or to get citizenship,i have been told you may get citenship after living here 5 years and it is much cheaper than residencia and less hassle to renew
gracias

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You'll find something in the archives on this if you do a search. But what Fabio Guzman said was that it was easier and faster to get residency than citizenship. He also indicated that the only real advantage to citizenship was that it gave you the right to vote and run for office.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I REALIZE THERE IS QUITE A LOT OF INFO ON THIS SUBJECT BUT MOST OF IT IS VAGUE ALL I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS WHETHER IT IS CHEAPER TO GET A DOM PASSPORT THAN PAY FOR A PERMANENT RESIDENCIA,I ALREADY HAVE MY TEMPORARY BUT NEED TO RENEW IT SOON

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Law 1683-48 and its modifications establish the conditions under which a foreigner can obtain the Dominican Citizenship. However the citizenship is granted at the sole discretion of the President in the form of a presidential decree. That means that even if the applicant fulfills all the necessary legal requirements, the president still has the right to deny the citizenship.

It is way more faster, safer and cheaper to apply for a permanent residency than for a Dominican Citizenship.

The basic advantage of obtaining the citizenship is the right to vote and the right to run for public office (presidency, vice-presidency, judge at the supreme court excluded).

Julio & Chris

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jazzcom said:
And a DR Passport Ken.

Geez, with that as an inducement, maybe I'll apply for citizenship myself.

00005572.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jazzcom said:
In this day and age you think it is bad to have two passports? One US and one Dominican?

I plan on getting both, just in case...

I think it is a good idea in your case, jazzcom. I understand that Osama bin Laden is targeting the loud, fat, ugly Americans.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
JOHNNY HONDA said:
Fabio

i have been told many storys so i would like your opinion on the following
is it better for a person who has been here several years to get a residencia or to get citizenship,i have been told you may get citenship after living here 5 years and it is much cheaper than residencia and less hassle to renew
gracias

Far cheaper is the option to not bother with either and in the event you leave the country on occasion, pay up to 350 pesos for 3 year overstay on a tourist card. No records , you don't exist. And the cost of residencia and all the renewals etc., is no picnic.

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
When the granting of citizenship is discretionary, does that mean it will incur "extra costs" to make it official? Being qualified under law, then applicants getting the very friendly solicitation for some contributions to Presidential causes. ;) Oh, by the way, please do tell me if I am just becoming far too jaded in my impressions.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: Re: Citizenship Vs Residencia

ricktoronto said:

Far cheaper is the option to not bother with either and in the event you leave the country on occasion, pay up to 350 pesos for 3 year overstay on a tourist card. No records , you don't exist. And the cost of residencia and all the renewals etc., is no picnic.

Idid that for many years however the way things are going in this country i believe its best to be legal,the current government leans much more towards an anti gringo policy:bandit:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Citizenship Vs Residencia

JOHNNY HONDA said:

Idid that for many years however the way things are going in this country i believe its best to be legal,the current government leans much more towards an anti gringo policy:bandit:

Oh I think they quite like the tourist dollars whether you overstay or not.

Maybe not for 2 years at a time but if you come and go there are lots of Americans and Canadians I know who ostensibly live there and don't have the time or the desire to get a cedula. I guess if you get in trouble or try to operate a business but to "visit" for a long time they would not even know you are there and the fine when you leave is bupkus.

I think not being on the lists of who is who would be appealing.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Rick
Depends,tourists dont need residencia,working illegal no sweat if you got nothing to loseworking in a job that pays better than anything i can make in canada as to the tune of over 100 k after taxes(yes i do pay taxes here)having a major home investment thanks after 16 illegal years i prefer to be legit now,i have watched the changes i dont like the way el burro thinks and the small cost is better than the risk.lol

G

gigi

CITIZENSHIP AFTER 6 MONTHS

You are also eligible for consideration of citizenship after 6 months of legal stay:

1. If you established firm domicily in DR under Art 13 de Codigo Civil.
2. If you are married to Dominican woman. (not a man)
3. If You make considerale investment in DR . (some interpret this as citizenship for sale)

Now all fees together cost prox RD$9000 for citizenship. You need collection of about the same documents as if you applying for residency for the first time.

Normally, all goverments here need money and they grant citizenship without problems based on the 2 years of residency.

By the way if you apply for citizenship, they interpret that you must be in DR legally without interupption 6 months, or the 2 years - that normally mean residency first, except the considerable investment.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Another reason to get my DR Citizenship is to attract the Canadian women who want no part of me just yet. I know the reason is that I am American and not Dominican but that will change in a year of so and I will have Beautiful Canadian women draped all over me.

Yeah thats the ticket!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Jeeeeez Scotty I didnt think about it that way,but now that you mention it I once heard that as soon as you get a Dominican passport your dick gets bigger,you better hope so cause thats the only way youre getting any Canadian toto,p.s. you can also tie a cement block to it for three weeks,wont make it longer but it will turn black;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I can't wait till our Canadian girls meet you Scotty. I'd like to know what it is that they don't like about you. ;)