Working In Dr

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
I am thinking of working in DR next year for a few months, could anyone tell me how to go about getting a working visa ?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Karen,
Check the archives on this subject - you will find numerous articles written on the Pro's & Con's of getting a "Working" visa. The general conception appears to be come for 90 days on your tourist visa, stay as long as you like & ONLY apply for your extended visa if/when you have to or when you are convinced you want to stay. If you just stay on without applying for the extended visa (& most people do - without any problems) you just pay a little extra at the imigracion when yo actually get round to leaving the country, US $10 (mas o menos) for every month you are beyond your tourist 90 day visa.
What area are you going to? Do you have a job already lined up? If not, you may find it harder than you think to get one - times they are a tight!!!
Good luck - Grahame.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
As a tourist you are not allowed to work in the DR

As long as a foreign person stays in the DR as a tourist the laws do not allow him/her to work although many people do so despite the risk to be caught. In any well organized country fully and effectively complying with the laws that would automatically mean deportation since it is an infringement of immigration laws. In this country the government does not have the necessary funds to pay for the deportation of a foreigner (exception: Haitian nationals) and so it may require you to pay for it and, in addition to that, to pay a fine although nothing may happen to that effect. In order to avoid such problems for any foreigner wishing to work in the DR it is advisable to apply for a provisional residence permit or to tell the employer to apply for it. Fines for tourists staying for more than 3 months in the country are not very high and the amount to be payed when the tourist is leaving the country depends on the length of the overstaying but to my knowledge does not exceed USD 50 even if the tourist overstays several years. Information regarding the amount of the fines may be obtained with the immigration authorities. For any further information do not hesitate to contact me.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
THE BIGGEST FINE I EVER PAID WAS 180 PESOS 5 YEARS LATE LEAVING HOWEVER I DID NOT SHOW THE EXPIRED VISA BUT TOLD THEM I LOST IT,AND HAD ARRIVED 2 WEEKS EARLIER,THIS DOES NOT WORK IF YOU SHOW THEM YOUR PASSPORT REMEMBER ENTRY DATE IS STAMPED,IF YOU ARE CANADIAN OR AMERICAN YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE A PASSPORT ONLY BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND PHOTO I.D.IF YOU ARE REAL UNLUCKY AAND GET ARRESTED FOR WORKING(AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE VERY UNLUCKY I ONLY KNOW OF ONE PERSON PERSONALLY,A BRITISH FRIEND)MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE $$$$ FOR A TICKET AND FOR AT LEAST ONE WEEKS FOOD WHILE YOU WAIT IN JAIL .LOL

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
This is an old thread, I know

but let me get this straight, cause I couldnt find any other threads.

Im spending a few weeks in the US over the holiday season, after having overstayed my visa. (I arrived in July 06). The "immigration" office at which I pay my fine for a "lost" visa is in the airport?

Has anyone done this recently who can give some details? Or perhaps someone is just really smart and can tell me what to expect?

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You pay at the airport in immigration when you leave. The rates are posted up on the wall. Don't worry, it's not a big deal, it's just another way for the Government to collect revenue.

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/53965-immigration-taxes-fines.html