Population of the Samana peninsula

alexita

Oct 6, 2002
What would be the approximate population figures for Las Galeras, Las Terrenas and Sanchez? A site puts Samana at 10 400 residents. I would also like to get some general idea of the proportion of expats in these four towns (villages?).

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The province has a population of about 85,000 with Las Terrenas having about 11,000 and Las Galeras less than 1,500 including the surrounding area-this end of the peninsula. I've would guess that Samana has about 15,000 or less and Sanchez around the 10,000 figure. The rest live in the many little villages and communities that dot the peninsula.
I only can guess at the number of foreigners living in each of the 4 major towns: Las Terrenas has about 1,100, Las Galeras about 100 or less, and Samana and Sanchez I have no idea. I would venture to say that the foreign population probably makes up less that 2 % of the total population, or about 1,500. I want to stress that this is only a guess and I could be way off, but I know the 85,000 figure to be fairly accurate.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Las Terrenas population?

I was there for three days in July and, at first, I didn't realize there was a real town there. I only saw the tourist area immediately at the beach and along that bumpy seaside road.

Then I found the real town and walked for blocks and blocks. I would bet I saw 1000 people just sitting around the shops on that walk.

I would have to guess that the population is far more than 1100 or so.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Abe,
You ought to read my post a little more carefully. I pegged the general population of Las Terrenas at 11,000 NOT 1,100. The 1,100 figure is the estimated number of FOREIGNERS (about 10% of the general population) that live in Las Terrenas.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Hey, Andy--lo siento.

gotta stop having those Presidentes for breakfast--interferes with my reading ability. And probably counting ability.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
No problem Abe. I remember many a Sunday morning I woke up and had warm beer and cold pizza for breakfast,...and they call Wheaties the "Breakfast of Champions!"