Wrong Name of Kestrel

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
In the Media Gallery there are photos of an American Kestrel(Falco Sparverius) mis-named as a :Guaraguaoup." The correct name for this raptor in the DR is "Cuyaya." Some call it "Cernicalo."
A "Guaraguaoup" is the name given to the Red-Tailed Hawl(Buteo jamaicensis)
When I lived in the DR I rehabilitated a few American Kestrels back to the wild. They are quite common to the DR. They feed mostly on large insects and small lizards. Occaisionally taking a small mice.

Tony C.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tony C: Questions for my favorite Audubon Society man

There is a special Dominican Army group called the "Guaraguaos" which is a specialized mountain unit using fancy camouflage uniforms and their mascot is the Guaraguao.

I had the opportunity to see two of these birds carried by the flag man at the last military parade at the Malecon. Can you tell if this was a real Guaraguao or a Cuyaya.

The Aguilas Cibae?as team is nicknamed the "Cuyayas". But is the Cuyaya an Eagle?

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The Guaraguao usually are from 46 to 61 cm. long. And yes that Army group uses the Guauaguao(Red Tailed Hawk) as their mascot.
The Cuyaya is the smallest raptor in North America. Usually 23 to 31 cm long. It is not a eagle but it is a member of the family of Falcons.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not being a bird knowlegable person, I just want to say that the "cuyaya" is the smaller of the, and is quite common. the larger "guaraguao" is highly endangered according to locals. It is supposed to live in the mountains.
The Aguilas as called cuyayas because it sounds good. Cuyayita is a term of endearment. Gurarguaos are often killed as a pest, out of ignorance...
Thanks for the info.
BTW, how is it possible for the troops to have two guaraguaos if it is illegal for them to be held captive??? Just wondering??
HB, slightly wisea$$.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Come on Hillbilly!

Since when do the Military,or the Police have to "Obey" the "LAW"?They never enfore the "LAW"!Well "selectively" they do! CRIS(Busting Your Balls)ColonPS Is the" Yellow Bellied Cock Sucker" indigenous to the DR?,or do they only visit during the tourist season?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
the most horrible

thing I have seen is a pet store in the city that sells black ravens in a 24 inch cage.

TW

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree. I've heard ravens are very smart. Since I've only seen them living outside with the rest of the birds, to lock them up seems very wrong. In such a small cage is cruelty.
mk

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I have noticed a marked increase in sightings of raptors right here in Central Illinois. Most common are the two species Tony C. mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that our Illinois-bred Red Tails and Kestrels travel south to overwinter in the DR.

We see them all year up here; sightings are quite common even during periods of sub-zero temperatures. I would imagine those birds are Canadian birds who come south to enjoy our mild winter weather. ;)

In any event, most of us have never experienced as many sightings as we have in the past 10 years. Someone, somewhere must be doing something right! :)

Swede