Christmas in DR??

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
My wife and I are spending (our first) two weeks in DR starting end of November 2002. We would like to bring something for some of the DR kids, and MommC had a great idea with the Care Packages. Along these lines I would like to bring some books for a school library. I have written, illustrated and published a children's book ( visit www.whimseyriver.com if you would like to see this book), and would like to bring as many copies as possible, (depending on how much weight I can bring on the plane) for the school near our resort, Rue Bachata. The book is a Christmas (non-religious) story designed to be read to young children (ages 5-7) as a bedtime story, (it's a chapter book which takes 12 nights to finish), or children ages 8-12 can read it themselves. (by Canadian reading standards, I guess...?)
My question is, what is the name of the school closest to Rue Bachata near Puerto Plata? Also to whom would I bring the books? Also is this a good idea or not? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Keith

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
schools

I think it is a good idea!!!

I do not know the name of the particular school you are looking for but I have a suggestion on how to go about finding the school or any school that would participate. I would contact a Rotary Club in your area and ask them about any schools that they are involved with in the Puerto Plata area. Mention you have books and would like to donate them to children. They should be able to direct you, give you a contact name in POP.

I did the same thing for Deaf children in Puerto Plata. I brought sign language videos on Deaf culture, history and folk tales and some books. I met the Rotary representive and he took my husband and I to the school. It was great !The children rushed out of their classrooms and came to me hugging me, signing thier names to me, asking my name. It was a great visit! I am a sign language interpreter and work with the Deaf CEntre in my area and they are now involved in fundraising efforts for the deaf school. the deaf school spent the summer in construction building a vocational school!

if you want my Rotary rep's email send me a PM

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
The resort IS RIU BACHATA,,these books are great however you will need to find a school where they teach english,also if the book is for bedtime storys the parents will have to be able to read english,im sure someone like bushbaby can help you find some kids in costambar which is nearest to your resort.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good heart but as Johnny says these are in English. While I might like one for my grandchildren that understand the language, I do not think that you will find any of these kids in a poor, urban public school. In Sosua, you have the International School and there is another one in Coast Ambar, I think...
Better bring pens and pencils and flash cards., crayons and coloring books...

HB

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
If you need help with the books let me know how many you will bring and i will see how many i could distribute for you ,however i agree with hillbilly,pencils crayons ,coloring books any school supplys or learning tools will be very happily accpted by many grateful kids