living

Natasa Holy

Oct 13, 2002
Hi,
I would like to know more about living in DR. So I can find out if I have enough money to even think about it.:confused:
I have read all about living and renting and wages and I am confused. Salary is proximaly 3.000 to 4.000, but living with no problem is about 8.000. Where is tahe catch?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The RD$3000 salary you speak of is the present minimum wage. If that were your only resource and had to cover rent, electricity, food, etc., it would be difficult for even a Dominican.

What is your situation? Where do you live at present and how do you support yourself? Are you thinking of moving to the DR? Do you have a job lined up? If not, what type of work are you qualified to do?

It is possible to earn more than 3-4,000. But if for some reason you think that is all you will get, don't make the move.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you spend a few hours looking through this board and our archives. You will find the answers to all your questions.

jag2s

Oct 14, 2002
HI' EVERYBODY LISTEN PEEPS.IA'M LOOKING FORWARD ON RESIDING IN THE CAPITAL CITY SANTO DOMINGO IN THE AREA OF GAZCUE,ALSO NOT FAR FROM (THE CASA DEL BARCO)BY THE WAY DOES STILL EXIST OR DID THEY CHANGE THE NAME OF THAT HISTORIC HOUSE THAT WAS BUILT DURING THE 40S OR 5OS
IWOULD LIKED TO BUY SOME PROPERTIES.NEAR THE AREA SINCE IT BRINGS BACK MANY MEMORY.SO ANY WAY TO WHO EVER READ THIS POST CAN GIVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THAT PROPERTY.YHANK YOU ALL MY E-MAIL IS. jag2s@netscape.net

Natasa Holy

Oct 13, 2002
I realy dont need a job. I am asking for an information about living in DR. Next year I will retire and want to spend our nasty winter somewhere in the sun for three months a year. I am a teacher and I am asking myself, how someone can live as a teacher with income of 3000 - 4000?

My intension is not to live in a big city. Now I am living in a small city (300.000) trough working days and trough weekends in a willage with 10 (ten) inhabitants (no church, no market - fantastic!). And such willage I have in mind for my three warm months - on the sea or by a river. Is possible? I would like to rent or to buy a place to live.

Thank you for your answers!
Natasa

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Those who live under $3000 a month salaries

are the very poorest people in DR. Just think. Unless you live in a barrio where electricity is not subsidized and paid by the government, almost half of that salary will go to pay your electric bill.

Middle class families living comfortably require in excess of $50,000 pesos a month. Rent alone in middle class areas go upwards of $8000. Phone bill hits about $1000. A new car payment exceeds $5000 a month. Gas is US$2.30 a gallon and going up! A 100lb. cooking gas cylinder is now close to $700 the fill. a 7oz. Dannon Yogurt container costs $22.95!

Rents in high class neighborhoods are quoted now in dollars. Nothing less that US$1000.

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you talking of $3000 pesos or $3000 dollars? big difference.
US$3000 is no problem . Do Teachers in Europe get that much for retirement?
We say village, not willage, but it looks cute, and I am sure I could not post a message that good in your native tongue....
You can find a nice place like Jarabacoa, Moncion, Santiago Rodriguez, Padre de las Casas or Jamao, or in the countryside of La Romana for rivers--And there are many, many more places.
Along the coast there are nice places at Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Abreu, Nagua, Samana, Luperon, Maimon, among others on theNorth Coast and tons more on the South coast...

HB

Natasa Holy

Oct 13, 2002
Thank you all for replies.
Sorry, if my English is not as good as should be.

Regarding my retirement: of course I dont get that much. Thats why I am asking all the stuff; can I afford those three months?
I hope yes, since I dont need much. Only silence and breeze. But as a tourist I am not a good shot.
By
natasa