Finaly arrived but still have questions....

Jocelyn

Apr 22, 2002
Well - having patiently waited for 6 months, I have finally arrived in the Dominican Republic. I have been here for a little over a week and have generally been exploring and trying to get myself set up.
One question though..... How do you meet people here???
I have the major disadvantage of not being able to speak Spanish. I have enrolled in classes at the American Dominican institute but as yet have not manged to make contact with any of the other students.
The other problem is that my boyfriend has started a new job here and is currently being worked to death.
So - if anyne can give me any tips on how I can meet people/ make friends...anything like that PLEASE let me know. I'd be most grateful because right now I am at a total loss.
Thanks alot

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look here.

http://dr1.com/living/customs/1.shtml

It takes time, you just have to put yourself about a little.
Not speaking Spanish puts you at a disadvantage, but I'm sure you will not take you long to develop a few friends via the school.

Take a good look at the message board and see who's living here and send them an email. Most of us expats are down to earth and decent folks.

I'll be waiting for my email :)

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
It is very easy to make friends! Just saying hi to someone on the street will start up a long conversation. Meet your neighbours, walk through the neighbourhood, go out to the discos, sure ways of meeting people! Just don't be shy! Best of luck...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It would help if we knew where you were, then we could recommend possible local meeting places for you to visit. One way we first made friends when we came to live here was to walk down the sttreet with our Cavalier King Charles year old puppy. He was called Merengue & that got everyone interested!!! We had friends in no time flat by inviting the local children into our sparsely furnished house to play with him. All of them went back home & told their parents how poor we were because we didn't have a television, car, cooker & things like that!!

So, open up to the locals & reap 300 fold return from them!! Enjoy!!!! - Grahame.

Jocelyn

Apr 22, 2002
Thanks to you all!

Thankyou everyone for your amazingly fast responces! I wasn{t expecting that at all.
Robert - thanks for the tips. If I ever figure out how to find out who on this message bourd lives in SD and how to find your e-mail, I will certainly drop you a line.....I{ve been an expat nearly all my life, so I know that you're all a down to earth bunch!
Meredith - unfortunatly I seem to be a bit prone to shyness (and not speaking Spanish doesn't help!) but I'll try my best to forget about all of that for a while!
Bushbaby- I'm living in SD. I'm still looking for a house at the moment though - but it looks like I'll be around Av. Anacona or Piantini. Any tips on where to go anywhere in Santo Domingo would be great though (bars,restaurants,clubs etc.).
I went to the British Embassy the other day (I{m English) to see if they had any information - no luck at all though.
Thanks for all the help - more is most welcome!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jocelyn

If you want to e-mail someone just click the e-mail tab under that persons post.There are quite a few people living in SD that post here.I think you came to the right place to meet people and gain valuable into.I live in NYC and this website has been completely invaluable to me---a sea of info and connections..good luck and enjoy DR.
Larry

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
Jocelyn, how are you enjoying living there so far? is your boyfriend dominican?
reason i ask is because i'm planning to move down there myself.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What type of clubs do you like? What type of music? Crowd etc? My favorite new place is TOC. It was a blast last time I was there. Played all classic dance music etc on that night at least. I like going to the more "dominican" clubs as well. On the other side of the bridge. As I posted previously, I will be there for over a month starting next friday and would be glad to show you and your boyfriend around. drop me an email and I'll get you my numbers etc.

My novia obviously speaks fluent spanish and I certainly get by with mine.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
The dog idea is great if you have one. When we go walking with our dauschund and doberman in our neighborhood here in Santo Domingo, we always have people ask about one of the two(almost always the dauschund) and strike up a conversation. Get a cute dog though!