Banco Mercantil

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
Hi Everyone,

Just had a quick question. I am looking into a few banks to do my banking with once in DR, since I will be moving there in a few months.

I just wanted to see if anyone can give me any feedback on Banco Mercantil? I looked through their website and they seem to have some very good rates on CD's, savings accounts and just everything in general.

If anyone has any information they would like to share with me before I make my decision I would greatly appreciate it.

And yes, I did look through the archives but not enough info on Banco Mercantil in particular. It just seems like they're rates are too good and anything in DR that seems too good to be true probably is. So just wanted to make sure, but then again I'm not an expert on this, that's why I came to ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look at Bancredito (bancredito.com). Just opened an account with them. 1st class service and extremely efficient. Those two words never usually come to mind when your talking DR banks.

They have online access and have been impressed to date.

S

Stephen

Just wait until you use the online access, and ATM's for more than one month. You'll think differently when you try to figure out what your correct balance should be. They'll take money out of your account in error and then try to sue you to get your balance back into the positive! I had 5 accounts on line with them, all connected for transfers etc. Needless to say they were all closed within 7 months. You'll need a full time secretary just to keep it straight. Banco Popular and their online access is much better.

Last edited:

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
Well I haven't heard anything about Bancredito. Will have to look into that. But as far as Banco Popular goes. Would never do business with them.

My husband and I had a really bad experience with them. Money got lost. Took days to credit back the money. We tried to take money out with the debit card and the ATM machine didn't have any money but it still showed as if the ATM gave us the money anyways. Real big mess. Anyhow, I guess everyone has their good and bad experiences. But definitely wouldn't do banking with Banco Popular again. Thanks for your replies though. Anyone else have any other stories, please dont' hesitate to share them with me.

Hillbilly, I'm waiting since you're the master in everything. :)

Thanks again.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have been using Banco Mercantil in Puerto Plata for nearly 9 years - never a problem that talking to the manager couldn't be sorted out & I have only seen her about 'Problems' twice in those nine years.
I have introduced some 20 customers to this branch, if you are coming to the north coast I'll gladly take you in to meet them all. If you want more info, e-mail or PM me - No Problemo!!! - Grahame.