Cost of living per month

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Hello all,

Would appreciate opinions and/or experiences as to the cost of living in San Doming or Santiago.

How much US dollars or RSD would it cost to live a good but not a luxurious lifestyle per month for one person?

Good lifestyle means renting a nice one bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood with a partime housekeeper.

Utilities. cable, DSL, phone, cell phone

Auto insurance, auto maintenace and gas.

Medical insurance.

Going out to dinner and other social activities 4 to 5 times a week.

Food, beverages and various household necessities.

Thanks GNYC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This has been covered many times on this message board.

I would spend some time and research our archives, all of your questions have been answered in depth at some stage of the past 12 months.

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
I've been told by Dominicans in Miami that you can live confortably in the DR for about $us1,000./month. I agree with Redrdrum, though. What you're planning sounds pretty luxurious to me too.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
It is highly personal, but from what you said, you might be looking at $2,500 per month perhaps up to $3,500 if you drive a more expensive car and have a very nice place(by Dominican standards and like to spend money. Assuming that you have little experience here, expect to incur very significant start-up costs including moving expenses, deposits for rent, and maybe utilities, higher food costs and other costs as you learn your way around and where to shop. Your rent, vehicle and "extra" spending would be the three things, in my opinion, that you will be able to control the most. Please understand that this varies wildly from person to person and don't shoot me when you find out that it doesn't apply to you. For some reason, it seems to be a lot cheaper living out of the city.

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Ihtown, I believe your figues are close to mine and mine are based on my time spend in San Domingo and the feedback I received from the locals.
I did not see or hear of a dramatic difference in prices between SD and the suberbs of NY in many areas although overall SD is cheaper.

Gas is more in SD.
Car insurance is probably at least $700 to 1000 a year.
(half as much as the northest US)
A car payment is the same as the US.
Medical insurance is definetly less but probably $700 a year.
A 2 liter bottle of Coke is about the same.
Most other stuff in the supermarket is less but not a real lot less.
A sandwhich in a local shop is maybe 30% less.
A beer in a neighborhood bar is also about 30% less.
Im sure utilities are high since you need the air conditioner alot.
Phone bills, cell phones and DSL probably similar.
So if you go out alot you savings are not considerable.

The big savings are
Rent maybe $450-500 in SD for what will cost $900 to $1000 in Brooklyn or Jersey.
A housekeeper if you have one is a true bargin in SD maybe $150 a month or so.

So for a fairly young retire that goes out alot but still does not live in a penthouse there may be an overall difference of 30% between iving in SD and the northeat US.

That lifestlye here without the housekeeper is $4000 plus a month.

GNYC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That eating out 4-5 time a week is the killer...
full coverage auto ins, is about 800$
Other prices are in the ball park.
Nice, furnished one or two bedroom would go for nearly$1000 with the conveniences, water, lights, cable....
Cars and maintenence are expensive. Corolla, Camrys, Civics and Accords are the most stolen models...

Think about it. You got good advice.

HB