Working in DR

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
Hi,
I am wanting to work in DR for my GAP year. How easy is it to get a job out there, preferably in Puerto Plata? - i don't really mind what. I have friends out in DR who could help me but i was just wondering what my chances are.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have friends who are in a position to help you get employment, your chances are much better than if you don't.

What type of work are you hoping for? What skills do you have? Do you speak Spanish? The answers to these and questions like them will be important.

But having friends who can help you will be a definite plus.

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
Hi Ken,

Yes I do speak quite lot of Spanish, I have A Levels in IT, Literature, Spanish. I was thinking of maybe reception/admin work in hotels or something.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reception jobs, other than the administrator in charge of that department, are usually filled by Dominicans. The pay for the job will be at the Dominican scale, which may not be what you have in mind.

Hotel administrative positions are usually filled from within the organization running the hotel.

Many Europeans speak several languages, certainly more than the average American student does. If you speak a third language, such as German or French, that would help you a lot in getting a job in a hotel. You wouldn't have to be fluent, but if you could communicate with the clients from one of those countries, this would give you an edge.

Since you mention A levels, I assume you are from England. BushBaby (Grahame), a regular poster on this board, is from England and often is able to help people who will be in the Puerto Plata area. If that is an area you are interested in, find one of his posts and click the email button under it. This would enable you to send him an email telling him of your interests and abilities and asking him if he could help you.

But since you mentioned that you already have people in the DR in a position to help you, it would be well worth you while to be in communication with them about what they might be able to do for you.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi Karen,
Sent you an e-mail last night (for you to receive this morning) but it has come back "undeliverable" for some reason. Could you please write again & confirm your e-mail address to me or offer an alternative that will work? In the meantime, I will try to find the original I sent in my files as I did not save it!!

Best Regards - Grahame (Bush).