Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expat community

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expat community

I am curious to know more about the expat community living in the DR. Is it large? Is it mostly American or European? What types of people form it - retirees, English teachers, missionaries, adventure seeker/travellers? Also, how are Americans viewed by the Dominicans in light of the U.S. historical involvement there?

Thanks!

-QG

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The expat community composed of all sorts of people. Come from Europe, Canada, the US, and the countries of the east. I've lived here for 16 years and have never experienced any problem because I am from the US. A large percentage of the Dominican families have some relative living there.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an American living in Santo Domingo. It is not unusual to see another American, but it is still fairly rare. I would guess that there are more french than Americans. There are also quite a few persons of oriental descent. Of the Americans, some tourists, some in business, some aid workers and missionaries.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool More French than Americans?Where do you "Hang Out"?

You name it,you can find it! Come down,have a party at your house,invite the "Locals" from DR! and you will have a great time! Most "Ex-Pats" are a little "Strange",in the good sense.The people I have met from DR! are really interesting,and fun.Be sure to invite "Pib",a super cool dominicana,and "Hillbilly",he has forgotten more about the DR than most people will ever know!CRIS

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know I was an ex-pat until I got on this board..
    However, I have seen it all, from daily rants on the radio about the "CIA agents being foistered on us" to the calls for US needing tohelp more and more. Generally speaking, most Americans (about 27,000 at last count) are treated as they deserve to be. And usually, the Dominican population will give the American a lot of rope before he is hung out to dry. Same with any foreigner. As long as they take regular baths, are not really nasty, they get along well. I think every little town has a few non-Dominicans living there, even if they are just Mormon missionaries...

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Expat clarification

Just to confirm meanings:

An "Expat" is a person sponsored by a company to live and work in a country other than their place of birth or citizenship. The more formal version includes 'residency' status. There can be legal responsibilities for the company on behalf of the person being brought into the country.

Expats usually are planning on leaving the country between 2 and 5 years after arriving.

Others who come to work for companies or live as a resident may be doing so "on the local economy". They are more 'on their own' as far as having a job and returning to their home country.

Hopes this helps. Which group were you trying to learn about ?

Bill

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

I appreciate your formal definition of the word expat. I'm referring to its more informal use that is commonly used to describe anyone who leaves their home to willingly live in another country. I have been an expat myself in Belfast, Northern Ireland and London among other places. Perhaps I get this informal definition too much from the British - they are rather attached to this term. The British "expat" community has an extremely strong network all over the world.

So I was referring really to any non-Dominicans in the DR who are not necessarily immigrants or migrant workers. But rather people who chose to go there for one reason or another for maybe a short period or maybe forever.

I'm curious about people who are both living on the local economy and those supported from abroad. My main interest is in the interaction between this group of people and the Dominicans and then how the Dominicans view them.

When I was in Haiti there was quite a large expat community consisting of Missionaries, US government types, journalists, Haiti scholars and Peace Corps/help the third world types . The community was pretty tight and everyone pretty well knew each other or knew of each other. Is it that way in the DR?

-QG

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Haiti must be pretty small compared to the DR. I have introduced many expats to each other in the same town and I only go every other month.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Expat clarification

Originally posted by Bill Parker
    Just to confirm meanings:

An "Expat" is a person sponsored by a company to live and work in a country other than their place of birth or citizenship. The more formal version includes 'residency' status. There can be legal responsibilities for the company on behalf of the person being brought into the country.

Expats usually are planning on leaving the country between 2 and 5 years after arriving.
    Surprise! Surprise! For the 16 years that I have lived here, I thought that I was an expatriate ("expat") because my dictionary (admittedly abridged) defines an expatriate as someone who leaves one's country to reside in another.

So what should I call myself? I don't work for a company, am sponsored by nobody and (obviously) didn't return to the US 2-5 years after arriving.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-25-2002 at 09:37 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Jazzcom,

You're right. Haiti is pretty small. I think somebody said earlier there were 27,000 Americans in the DR. That's way huge. I guess I got talking about my own context and failed to remember how it is different everywhere you go.

That's why I'm here at DR1. So I can learn how it is in the DR. Since I can't hop on a plane right now and find out for myself I'm going to have to learn/live vicariously through all of you.

Thanks for putting things back in perspective for me. And tell me more!!!

-QG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast