U.S. Notary Needed?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
My wife has received an indirect communication that the Commonwealth of Mass needs to prove she is alive. They have a form she needs to fill out and have notarized that she still lives in Mass. Well we do, sort of. We spend part of the year in the D.R. and the other part in Mass at the same residence we have had for years. If the form is not completed on time as they request she is in jeopardy of losing her state pension. (We have yet to see the form, only know of it) The kicker is that we do not expect to return to Mass until next Spring.

My question is: does the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo have a notary service? We have discussed this and feel we would have a better chance to resolve this matter presenting her identification documents and the form, when we receive it, to the Embassy to be notarized there, rather than chance it with a Dominican notary or going to the expense of traveling back to the U.S. to take care of the matter.

What are our options? Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Get theform from the State of Mass. Probably, on line.
2) fill it out
3) Go to the Consulate and have it notarized...don't sign it befor you are with the Notary. It will cost a lot of money(maybe $75.00??, just a guess), but it is cheaper than flying back to Boston...

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
funny, I always thought charging for a Notary service is a very nominal fee. Being a Notary in Wisconsin for over 20 years and all.
I needed my signature notarized last week. Free at my bank.
Do what Hillbilly says. It is cheaper than flying back to Boston...
mk

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, it's easy to notarize at Citizens ' Services

We had to have several documents notarized for U.S. purposes while we lived in SD 1995-99, and it was easy to get it notarized at Citizens' Services in the consulate. At that time, the cost was more like $30-40, but the way they have raised fees in recent years, I suppose $75 is not out of the realm of the possible. Just make sure you check ahead of time when is the prefered time for notarizing documents -- they were picky about that (I believe that they had me come at around 1 pm) because the person who notarizes has other duties during the rest of the day.
Regards,
Keith

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Notary

Folks, thanks for your support.

I found some information today at the Dept of State website, http://travel.state.gov/notarials.html , indicating the fee for consular notary service is $30. I will be traveling to the Capital within the next tens days and I will make time to visit the embassy for the service.

Hopefully, the day will come when I am no longer the rookie expat and I will be the one passing on this information to those crossing to these shores.

Everyday is a new adventure, just received information I have a jury duty obligation. Next!!

Regards, PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Notorized!!!

We were able to get our document notorized at the US Embassy Consular Services (cor. Maximo Gomez and Cesar Nicolas Penson) last Thursday. The cost was US $30. The Embassy website suggests to be there between 7:30 and 9:30 am for the notary service. However, we did it without an appointment and showed up around 11:30 am, we were not hassled about it, just paid the fee and waited about an hour, so the folks in line ahead of us could do their business. We were called up to the service window and got our document notarized.

Also, Hillbilly, you were on top of things regarding getting our document online, sort of. Our son back home copied the state form into his computer and sent it to us as a .PDF file. Glad we have the convenience and somebody back home. Regards, PJT

Last edited: