Howdy from Boston

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
Hello! This is Qisqueya Girl from Boston. I've just joined today and wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. There didn't seem to be an official place to that so I've just randomly picked this forum.

I don't even remember how I discovered DR1.com! Some random link brought me here and I've been coming back ever since. I think I been lurking for a few weeks now. I love all the sections of the site especially the message boards. Through that I've started to get a feel for the personalities of the other members.

Let me be honest and upfront by saying that I am a huge Pedro Martinez fan and yes that has directed my interest in the DR. I have never been to the DR and probably won't have the opportunity any time soon but I would absolutely love to if it were possible.

Please don't classify me as simply a Pedro fan. I am one of those typical Americans who loves to meet people from other countries, to travel and to learn foreign languages. I taught ESL (adult ed) in Boston for a number of years and had many Dominican students. I also love the Spanish language (though mine is a bit rusty right now).

I'm trying to learn as much about the Dominican Republic as possible because my usual habit is to dive into a country until I'm completely saturated by it.

Right now I'm reading two books about the DR:
SugarBall by Alan Klein (a baseball book)
Song of the Water Saints by Nelly Rosario (a novel)

I have so many questions to ask about the DR but I'll save them for other posts. I just wanted to say hi and to let you know how happy I am to stop lurking and become a part of this community.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Welcome!

I lived in Boston for 25 years before I moved to Santo Domingo.Don't ever visit here! You will be "bitten" by the "Bug" and want to live here too! Cris

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
Welcome, Quisqueyanita

Bienvenida, Quisqueyanita may your stay here be a pleasant one.

Welcome !!!!

JROD
Santiaguero de pura CEPA....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okey, first off, welcome
luxhello.gif
to this highly intellectual, sarcastic, caustic and oftentimes rude community of folks from all over. Most of us really like the DR and we are more than willing to share. For example, I would suggest the Julia Alvarez books as a good starting point, harry Hoetink's book "The Dominican Society"is certainly good and Frank Moya Pons'A history of the DR" is pretty fair reading. then you have to read jesus Galindez' book on the dictator Trujillo-whose brother died yesterday- and then get Bernardo Vegas works on the US and the DR....

After filing three page reports onthese works you may join in.....

HB
znaika.gif

domerican

Oct 9, 2002
Welcome Quisquella Girl,
This site is filled with so many interesting comments, suggestions, bashing, flirting, ... (just adding more to Hillbilly's list). I love it all!

Hope you will too:)

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
Hillbilly - Thanks for the list of books. I'm going to check those out. I've already read In the Time of Butterflies. I thought that was a really excellent novel as well as historically educational. You're right about the "variety" in this community. I was reading the posts about where the Dominicans are in Europe - very colorful indeed. The feminist in me wanted to add a point or two but being new to DR1, I thought I'd bite my tongue for awhile.

domerican - I'm married but I hope that doesn't prevent anyone from flirting!! ;)

-QG

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
That explains it, Cris... I keep thinking I detect a Kennedy-like accent...it's your tie to Massachusetts! Same accent here...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Quisqueya Girl said:
I was reading the posts about where the Dominicans are in Europe - very colorful indeed. The feminist in me wanted to add a point or two but being new to DR1, I thought I'd bite my tongue for awhile. domerican - I'm married but I hope that doesn't prevent anyone from flirting!!

1. If you have something to say, do not, repeat, do not bite your tongue. Jump right in. domerican did, and so did a number of other feminine recent new additions.

2. Being married isn't a handicap, unless you make it one. domerican is married, too. But watch out for jazzcom, a wedding ring on a woman is not a deterent to him.

We have other participants from the Boston area, including Cira, a Dominican gal who now lives in Boston and who is active in Dominican politics in the Boston area. She, too, is a rabid Pedro Martinez fan and has not hesitated to make her views known. She, too, joined recently. You can search the archives for posts by Cira.

Last edited:

domerican

Oct 9, 2002
Ken,
I couldn't of said it better myself. No one should hold back on what they want to say. It's so liberating! "Speak your mind at all times with respect for others and dignity!" (I try).

In addition, yes I am married but, can I just make it clear that I haven't flirted with anyone here. I only added "flirting" to the list because I see it among others. I think it's cute and funny sometimes.

FYI: I too am originally from the Boston area. It's great if you can deal with the freezing winter months.

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
Please let me make this very clear - I am not from Boston!!! :) I just happen to live here now. You know, there are jobs here. So no funny Kennedy accent on this chic. I am however from New England so you can probably apply all the broader Northeast/New England stereotypes to me if you like. It will be my pleasure to dispell them as I get more bold with my interactions on DR1.

-QG

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
dudette......
welcom..

i've only been here a week but i think my presence is already strong felt (or wearing thin?)
in any case... i am a feminist much like yourself... did my undergrad in women's studies... some of the stuff i read here makes me want yell sometimes (as a feminist)....... and although biting your tongue is no good, i'm learning one thing.
everyone has a point of view.
if you don't agree with it, you shouldn't bite your tongue (nor should you fight it)... rather, you should enrich that person's perspective by addidng your knowledge.

that's why everyone is so god damn smart here
and yeah, amazing characters thus far... and some kick ass advice on luv in the DR

so welcome :)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
QG--
I am another NE girl who likes baseball and the DR. Welcome to the board!
A good read for you might be "The Buried Mirror" by Carlos Fuentes. Starts the history in Spain all the way thru the "New World" and 20th century.