Flights from Puerto Plata to Canada

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Anybody know of any direct flights from POP to Canada? I know about the air transat thing to Vancouver (my ultimate destination) but you can only book it one week in advance and there is no surety of getting a seat. I am having problems reaching Air Canada so can someone give me a hint? If nothing from Puerto Plata surely there is something from Santo Domingo?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Doubt It

Other than whatever you can find with Transat or Skyservice ( and I guess this winter WestJet), the AC flights they said were going to POP don't seem to have materialized in their on line or PDF schedules . Even then that was Toronto not Vancouver. Given the distance I doubt you will se that route anyway, even with the charters.

Otherwise American to Miami or JFK then to Vancouver (via either Toronto then AC or some other MIA- YVR route). Since there is a JFK to YVR non stop that would be the best bet. I think POP to JFK may need a drive to Santo Domingo first. Or Santiago to JFK - check AA.com

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
This is round about but can be done:
POP to Provo - T&C.
Provo to Nassau.
Nassau to Toronto - Vancouver.

Alternates through Jamaica, Puerto Rico.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I had investigated the Provo-Nassau link but was told it's not available anymore (one of the legs anyway). I know how to get to Nassau via Port-o-Prince/Montego Bay/Kingston but this takes 1.5 days. I dont wanna spend 3 days in the air going and 3 coming back. Puerto Rico is US territory so I can't land there.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm going to ask a silly question but if the person traveling with you has a problem with U.S. Immigration, are you should they have a visa for Canada?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They only have a problem with US immigration because they got deported for working there illegally. The same person has travelled to Canada before and has had no problems. FYI, she has a German passport.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Try TACA or Cubana

I think you can go SDQ to Panama then to Toronto or maybe even Panama City to YVR.

Alternatively SDQ to Havana and then non stop ( for sure, no stopping in USA) on Cubana to either Toronto or Montreal.

If you are American then the Havana option is not so hot.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Don't ever take Cubana!

I tried that route and they book me on a non-existent flight, I showed up but no plane flying at that schedule even though i had a ticket for it. They messed up big and on our way home they put us up in a 5 star resort in CUba, hee, hee...
Yeah, but they are not the best of airlines in general.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Don't ever take Cubana!

Meredith said:
I tried that route and they book me on a non-existent flight, I showed up but no plane flying at that schedule even though i had a ticket for it. They messed up big and on our way home they put us up in a 5 star resort in CUba, hee, hee...
Yeah, but they are not the best of airlines in general.

I guess if you have the bad l;uck to travel with someone forbidden to set foot in the USA for immigration law violations you have to mix the good and bad.

Did you mean the SDQ to Havana flight didn't happen or the one Havana to Toronto? I have seen both boarding and departing on time in both cities.

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Conchman

As I understand Air Canada flights to DR are "Air Canada Vacations" charter to Punta Cana, so not on their regular schedule. BUT Air Canada does fly regular scheduled flights from Haiti to Toronto.
Regards
Art

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
It was Toronto to Havana to SD. It said there was no such thing, even though there was a ticket issued for it! We had to catch an AA flight instead... The way home, luckily the flight was real, and we did get home through the same route. But, again, sometimes you don't have an option right Conchman?

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Have you tried Skyservice?

Hi Conchman,
What about taking the flight from POP to TO and from there you can try to book a relatively inexpensive flight to Vancouver?
I know that Skyservice has a flight out every Friday from POP and if the flight is not full, the agents will be able to get you on the flight.
From Toronto you can fly Air Transat out to Vancouver. The latest posted price dated for flights on Oct 29/02 is $246 plus $179 tax Cdn.
Hope the information helps. If you were able to book your flight on Skyservice, just get online and book your connection to Van using the Air Transat website (www.airtransat.com)
Helen